88 replies to this topic

#81 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 01:49 PM

Last RM8 teaser was 2 weeks ago. Problems in beta testing?

#82 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 02:09 PM

Rooty;

I understand the frustration. I am wondering what they are up to now, too.

Unfortunately, I think they call them "teasers" for a reason. :>)

We should have a pool on how much this "teaser" thing will be milked before something is actually released.

I'll take number "24" and I'm being optimistic...

#83 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 November 2019 - 04:01 PM

Last RM8 teaser was 2 weeks ago. Problems in beta testing?

The longer they wait, the fewer potential users they'll have as people get frustrated and move on to other software.

#84 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 09:01 AM

Family tree make just released an ancestry and family search API fix to FTM 2019 after 5 weeks without syncing. FTM 2017 users get to wait a few more weeks for their fix. This has been a long hiatus and you only get the download link after entering your information twice and going through ~20 screens of addons to not buy.

Bruce makes it easy to get updates, trial versions, manuals etc. Quite a contrast. Now if we only had a working native mac rootsmagic 8 to use!

#85 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 10:23 AM

This RM8 issue has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Even the tech support is being adversely affected. I called to ask a simple, straight-forward, question on whether the standard Mac RM7 uninstall procedure would remove all traces of RM7, Cross-over and also the extra program that RM7 downloads. I have just had my Mac refreshed to a factory install of Mojave, because I wanted to get rid of all the "hidden" libraries that get installed over time. All I got was a stream of ... we can't talk about RM8. I even went so far as to explicitly state that my question related solely to RM7 and still got push-back.

If.... and I do mean if... I ever install this vapourware called RM8, I'm still unlikely to forget how "evasive" the RM tech support has been this time around. I wonder what they are holding over their tech-support people to make them so paranoid.

#86 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:11 AM

Tech support told my wife to update from Yosemite where RM7 worked to Sierra where it did not despite knowing of these issues. I also have lost high confidence in them. However, Apple since Job's death has also slipped. You need to wait for the "senior" advisors to get straight answers.

Complete application uninstall on a mac can be done as follows:  Best for experienced mac users since you have to inspect what is being selected for deletion. It may include your program receipt with master key or perhaps similarly named system components.

Appcleaner (free) from https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/will find all or most of the files related to a program and move them to the trash. Scroll the window to be sure all items are checked. Some may not be.

Easyfind and Findanyfile (both free) can then search for any missed components using part of the name common to the files in the trash (ie program or developer name) and move them to the trash. Developer's "uninstall" instructions or app usually leave all sorts of junk behind and cannot be trusted.

Cleanmymac X will find leftovers and hung items left behind by deleted apps. They have a free demo version which can find leftovers for manual deletion. It is expensive and aggressive in what it wants to remove.

#87 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 November 2019 - 11:59 AM

Rooty;

I was a software engineer for most of my career, so I'm OK with delving into things. Thank you for the concise answer. I'll look into the tools you noted. Software that "pollutes" my system is a real irritation for me.

Sometimes, I wish that developers would do as they did years ago and have the install program create a manifest of the installed components. They should augment that with a list of files that are created "on the fly" (which shouldn't be that long if the product is well designed).

Oh well... At least I know what I'm up against in trying to use RM. I doubt that the other companies are a whole lot better, perhaps just a little less irritating.

#88 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 04:29 PM

Natives (native Mac users) are restless.

The bridge came out years ago (we paid extra for that), then the wrapper (where Mac users don't get full functionality much less a reliable program). A native Mac was promised (a long time ago) with RM 8. RM 8 was promised in 2019. The days pass to weeks, those have passed to months with increasingly fewer short weeks left in the year...if it's not coming this calendar year, please announce that sooner rather than later. Thanks.

#89 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:45 AM

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3328