• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#61 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

Rooty, you're correct. RM support doesn't really seem too concerned about Mac users and the impending Catalina release.

The new FTM is 64-bit compliant and RM really should start to be concerned. RM likely can't issue a new 64-bit crossover version. As you noted, it's out of their control. Many Mac users really want the features of the new Catalina O/S. Some of those features are rather useful. So, some won't wait for the O/S to prove its stability before installing it, any more than some RM users won't wait for RM8 to do the same. They will say enough of the endless preview posts. Those are your group that will switch to FTM (even if reluctantly).

I should note that the virtual environment loader is already kicking up a fuss for me, due to some recent Mojave updates. I wonder if Apple is already shifting things around in preparation for a transition to Catalina.

All-in-all, the time has come to see if RM feels that the Mac community is really worth supporting. This talk of an RM8 release has been going on far too long. Additional posting about a product that may actually still be in "beta" is not likely going to suffice once Catalina is available. They need to release a production version of RM8 and let the user decide if they wish to install Catalina. Remember that RM8 should still run on Mojave.

#62 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 02:33 PM

History Hunter:  nice handle!

I switched my spouse from Windows to Mac 4 years ago expecting Bruce to either support the crossover version adequately or launch a native mac version the next year. She has a large database, loves Rootsmagic and can't really switch via gedcom without major data issues.

I switched my small database to FTM 2017 which is a good program but I really want to come back to RM8. RM seems like a better laid out program overall and Bruce lacks the rapaciousness of MacKiev. $40 manuals, difficult downloads after you have paid, etc. The RM forum has expert users tyros like myself can learn from and Renee is very responsive. 

RM8 at yearend after Catalina has settled down or early in 2020 would still be acceptable to most mac users. 

#63 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:15 PM

Hi Rooty;

I tend to agree that even FTM has its share of issues. I suppose all the genealogical programs do. Myself; I will probably wait for RM to release RM8. Why not, I paid for it last January. That said; my workflow has been designed to eliminate the database (whatever one I have) as a bottleneck to progressing my research. I usually have all my research and analysis in external files. When I can, I cut and paste the information into the "database of the day"  just to get the reports, tables and diagrams. I've been burnt by the coming and going of databases over the years and now try to isolate myself from that situation when I can.

However; I'm not so sure about the patience of other Mac users. I've been closely following the RM forum on Facebook and am surprised by the number of Mac users that would seem to be frustrated with the wait. They've all been told bluntly that it will be released when it's released. Which just appears to have made the situation even more aggravating to them.

Regards;

History Hunter
"Hunting History in the Wild"

#64 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 03:34 PM

Hunter;

an interesting approach. The display and reporting power of a database without serious entrapment.

The RM forum makes it clear a lot of mac users are frustrated but now that Bruce has started teasers which look promising most of us will feel hopeful. The home screen seems so mac-like that I wonder if that is a major driver of the next version. Windows people may be shocked by the apparent simplicity of the interface. Fewer clicks and popups would be great.

I avoid FB but see a lot of frustration on the ancestry FTM forum too. Much of it is triggered by basic ignorance and the skill level of most posters there seems low compared to here.

#65 tmccabejr

tmccabejr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 09:53 PM

I've been using FTM 2017 for a couple of years and it works well on my 2017 iMac and 2015 ManBook Pro running the latest Mac OS. FTM has a good and reliable interface/update with Ancestry. Family Tree Maker is just now shipping the 2019 version which includes an iOS app for use on a tablet or iphone. That's a nice feature when traveling and family members ask questions. So, if you are interested in a different program, give FTM a look.

I looked at RootsMagic this evening and may use it too when the 2019 version is available. It sounds like buggy ver. 7 isn't worth it for Mac users judging from comments on this board.

#66 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 07:44 AM

RM Mac users have, I suspect, increasingly lost patience. I paid for the "Macbridge" in 2014 expecting a useable native Mac version much sooner than this. The current version doesn't really work (it freezes, etc.). I love but have outgrown Reunion, and I decided a while ago I needed someone more "serious" with sourcing/citations and importantly shared events for cluster research, etc.

I fear by the time the native Mac version comes out RM will have pulled a bait and switch for so long that there won't be any Mac users left.

#67 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

Life in the development world is a race and one where you need to keep running to stay competitive. Rootsmagic seem to have experienced some twists in the road over the last years but that does not excuse the many small problems within the program which should have been ironed out over a few lunchtimes over the previous years. I am relatively new to Rootsmagic and it's not my sole program, I should say I'm a PC user also. The current reputation of the program is deserved, ignoring users and many small quirks for many years has been a big mistake in my opinion, when you stop giving your users what they want that only leads one place. However there are many a loyal comrade who are happy to buy an expectation despite the experiences of the past and they will see Rootsmagic through. From what I read the majority of those individuals only scratch the surface of the program so do not understand the deeper deficiencies and difficulties of more intense users, some would probably be better with a hard back notebook and colored pens. Without wanting to be disrespectful I believe the majority of genealogy software users would not know a good enhancement until it was already in place and the usefulness demonstrated to them.

The genealogy software world looks like it will change dramatically in the next 6 months with many new versions, at the end of that time my goal is to be using the best software to suit my needs and not jumping in and out of slightly different data sets due to transfer incompatibility. Taking any sort of break in the middle of a race means you need to run dam fast to catch the leaders, from what I have seen on the blog so far I am not hopeful for Rootsmagic.

Genealogy is not a new concept, outside of noting and reporting the needs of researchers are well known. The possibilities from various online sources are very well established and need to be mined. Rootsmagics reporting and filtering really need to move into this century in my opinion, I expect to find, filter and report every piece of data I enter into my database, otherwise it is lost to me, I expect professional graphical displays of data disbursement and all linked to take me directly to that data, I expect powerful analysis and number crunching of geographical clues all to be presented in the previously described fashion.

All my opinion, but I find Rootsmagic not even close to the competition on many of these goals. I was gifted version 7 and aside from those deficiencies mentioned had great hope for the next version based on an outdated reputation of the developer working closely with his customers. Having researched development history, read the endless wish list and reached out to some long time users I don't hold great expectations for version 8. However for the sake of a few months I will not shoot myself in the foot just yet and migrate totally to another platform.

#68 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

jck:

Curious which windows program you have chosen. Legacy has a good reputation but is written in obsolete code which MyHeredis probably has no interest in fixing.

On the mac side I have tried them all with limited joy. Reunion is just dated, very expensive and has no manual. Heredis is a good native mac app but tiny text even at max and "support"in french? MacFamilyTree is the best mac software I tried but the pedigree tree, features and function layout for genealogy leaves me cold. Family Tree Maker 2017 has tiny text but a good interface and syncs well with ancestry. The hints for ancestry and family search are also helpful. Limited data analysis tools. Priced too high and very tight developer control of downloads even after you have paid. Rootsmagic 8 is my faint white hope and the teaser screens Bruce has dribbled out look promising. My spouse is a power user of RM7 despite it's poor mac state and that version with cleaned up popups and clicks (ie better interface/useability) could be a winner.

I think Rootsmagic bet the farm on getting some kind of tree sharing with ancestry and just dropped RM8 development while coping with that feature and the resulting unhappy user fallout. 

#69 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 11:50 AM

I think Rootsmagic bet the farm on getting some kind of tree sharing with ancestry and just dropped RM8 development while coping with that feature and the resulting unhappy user fallout. 

My research strongly suggests something went terribly wrong along the way and I guess we all need to see what the next version has behind those screens. I use Family Historian side by side with Rootsmagic at present, I find the features quite powerful and easy to get straight to the person you want but on the other side I would miss some things from Rootsmagic. If Rootsmagic had the will and ability to close on the features FH6 offers then I think I would be more than happy. It's worth saying FH6 is the same age as RM7 and there might also be an upgrade due but I can't find and rumours, there are videos on Youtube and they offer a full featured time limited trial, tha's confident in my opinion.

I have read about FTM2017 and now 2019 is due, I always avoided that package due to customer reviews but that may be the old FTM so I am watching that space. On new and old company strategy the company around rootsmagic and it's pervious software seem to have enjoyed a well deserved reputation for listening to customers and responding, maybe things got too big but it would seem something went wrong along the road. FTM had a pretty horrible reputation in the past but maybe with the take over things are moving towards better research software? we will have to wait and see.

I have a relatively large database and study one name extensively so a glorified note book with colored surrounds falls far short of my needs but it does seem to please so many so a safe bet. I have probably said before I am intent on waiting until mid 2020 before making a decision as to my future path, I do feel so sorry for those in the mac camp who have endured such difficulties while waiting for the promised Mac version, but at the same time I doubt you would want something rushed to market and bug ridden, I know I wouldn't.

#70 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 01:30 PM

JCK;

I too was put off by the terrible customer reviews of FTM 2014 and earlier and then ancestry dropped the software since they could not fix it. They did not even try to sell it to someone. Some management style.

A year after MacKiev picked it up I used a $50 gift card to take a chance on it and it was night and day. They spent a year doing nothing but bug and performance fixes and talked ancestry into supporting a new tree sync interface that actually works. Rootsmagic later piggybacked on this API for their version of treeshare. Now FTM2019 is launching this week (only minor changes) and is a viable mac alternative. I still hope for RM8 as a better choice but RM7 is not for me. 

#71 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

Well... I've decided I'll likely have to put RM7 away until RM8 is released or see if I can find something I can do reliably that doesn't cause issues.

I just had a wine loader failure for the umpteenth time. This time it happened when I tried to save a narrative report in RTF and it's quite repeatable.

In all fairness, the tech support people tried to help, but my patience with the RM7 virtual machine solution is wearing thin. It never was particularly robust. Frankly; I suspect that Apple has already been adding in subtle tweaks to Mojave maintenance releases to get it ready for Catalina. Even if I'm wrong, I just don't have any more time to "play" with RM7 to get it to work.

When I re-install RootsMagic, it will be RM8.

#72 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:11 PM

Hunter;  I too am waiting for RM8 to appear. I have used the waiting time to clean up my database facts, sources, places and media so I am ready for FTM 2019 out this week at 10K users a day and RM8 later (02/2020?). 

The pace of RM8 tease screens has slackened--not a good sign.

Perhaps your report might work in another format like PDF that could be converted to RTF, etc. 

#73 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2019 - 03:34 PM

Rooty;

I may have to go the PDF to RTF route. At least I'm still able to enter data.
I guess that when the software starts to "misbehave", I get concerned about what I'm not seeing.

#74 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 12:15 PM

Despite misgivings, I went ahead and bit the bullet for the "update" to RM7 to get RM8. I bought it with the bundle for GenSmarts.

#75 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 04:40 PM

GenSmarts is a Windows program. It won't work with RootsMagic for Mac.

Renee
RootsMagic

#76 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 October 2019 - 06:20 PM

GenSmarts is a Windows program. It won't work with RootsMagic for Mac.

That's why I asked previously about RM8 license working for both the Mac and PC versions, and if the PC version would open a Mac file.  ;)

#77 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8472 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 12:51 PM

RootsMagic is a reseller of GenSmarts. Their license agreement is not part of the RM license agreements. The product page on our website lists the Windows platforms it is supported on, Mac computers are not listed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#78 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

Good post by RM on their blog about Catalina..64 bit apps only. Mac users should be in no hurry to install Catalina. Best to wait for 1 or 2 bug fixes.

#79 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 04 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

Catalina post at http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3297.

#80 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2072 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:53 PM

Six: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3313