88 replies to this topic

#41 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 03:45 AM

MacKiev has just announced that FTM 2019 will be released in the next 2/3 weeks - assuming all goes well with their final testing (!). I know this because I'm in the same position with FTM as some other users are with RM - I bought the current version at a reduced price, with the promise of the 2019 version free. The announcement of the imminent launch of the 2019 version came yesterday.

Problem is, I don't actually like FTM very much, so all my hopes are pinned on the native Mac version of RM8.

#42 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:09 AM

I too use FTM 2017 with the near term promise of the 2019 update. Except for the tiny text size I like FTM fairly well. What do you not like about it?

RM8 remains vaporware but I also hope it finally appears (this decade). It will certainly be worth a try despite all the likely initial bugs.

#43 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

Not that I plan to forgo a relational database altogether, but this situation has demonstrated rather clearly the risks of "hitching ones wagon to a particular horse".

We all need to be careful about choosing that horse and we all want a fit and dependable one to help us achieve our goals, that includes me as a 20+ year user.

The blog snippet I mentioned is copied below;

"So where are we today?  And what does the future hold for RootsMagic?

When we started this blog years ago, the main purpose was to give a sneak

preview of our soon to be released RootsMagic 4, and for the next little while

we’re going back to those roots to give you a peek at RootsMagic 8.

Of course everyone wants to know what new features will be in version 8

(we all like new features).  And while we’ll have new features, let me just

say that  RootsMagic 8 is being designed with our current users in mind,

simplifying existing functionality, reducing “clickiness”, and other

improvements requested by users.  Underlying code is being redesigned

to provide us with a framework for additional functionality in the years to come.

So stayed tuned to this blog as we begin to unveil the most exciting version of RootsMagic ever."

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#44 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:58 AM

A native mac user interface with less clicks and windows required  is much preferable to new features.

#45 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:32 PM

Rooty, you said:

I too use FTM 2017 with the near term promise of the 2019 update. Except for the tiny text size I like FTM fairly well. What do you not like about it?

My answer is that I don't especially like the FTM input screen, and I don't at all like the way the way sources/citations are handled - far too much to-ing and fro-ing. But I do very much agree with you that a native Mac RM with fewer clicks and windows is highly desirable, not to mention the whole gamut of keyboard shortcuts that are currently lacking - the constant necessity to use the mouse is a real pain.  Like you I want a proper Mac interface, and I don't care if there are no added bells and whistles. 

#46 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 03:50 PM

ftipple;

Sources in FTM are far too complicated and confusing. I have finally ended up creating my own simpler format and ignoring theirs so long as I capture the what where how and have left links back to data source and media.

Macfamilytree has a seductively wonderful mac interface that is better than any other program I have tried. however, using it is not good with its really weird pedigree tree and stacking of data entry screens with sources push way to the bottom.

#47 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:18 AM

Yes, I have tried Macfamilytree, and also Heredis, and iFamily, and came to RM from Reunion.

All had their pros and cons (what program doesn't?), but I prefer RM to any of them. It seems to suit the way I work or the way my brain is wired or something, and I really, really, really want RM8 to be a Mac success.

#48 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3425 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 08:53 AM

Yes, I have tried Macfamilytree, and also Heredis, and iFamily, and came to RM from Reunion.

All had their pros and cons (what program doesn't?),

The one that listens intently to their users and responds in a timely manner ;)

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#49 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:45 AM

Looks as though a series of blog entries relating to RM8 has begun.  First installment at http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3245.

#50 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:51 PM

Second at http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3259.

#51 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Pros and cons with other programs:

I've used a lot over the years from pen and pencil to GENE (hypercard), but I have used Reunion as my main program for a long, long time (version 3 or 4).

Reunion is great for lots of things: ease of use, incredible chart capabilities, very flexible/customizable, but now that I'm trying to be more "serious" and publish, I've decided I've outgrown Reunion. They are indifferent if not hostile to GEDCOM standard/exchange (though an effort made to customize it fixes much of the problem), the source/citation is simple/outdated (again, customization would go a long way, but RM already has that covered), but the indifference/hostility to adding events (besides marriage) that can be tied to more than one person (witnesses, godparents, neighbors, et al.) means cluster genealogy research is next to impossible--this was the final straw as it were.

PAW2U (Personal Ancestry Writer) isn't a full service program (media, etc.) but is good for analyzing a database.

Heredis is generous with long place names--historically accurate with current after in [brackets]--while FTM is not which crossed that one off the list (not having a free/trial version is inexplicable). FamilySearch integration is nice (I'm not on Ancestry).

I can't remember why I didn't like MacFamilyTree. 

GRAMPS is clunky on a Mac, but much better than it used to be.

I look forward to figuring out Genome Mate Pro for analyzing DNA matches and wish it integrated or something with a normal genealogy program. 

I mostly narrowed down my search, for me, to Heredis and RM. But some of the things I liked better at the time with RM have been addressed and probably surpassed by Heredis (love the new repository feature in the sources!)

#52 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:36 PM

Bradley;

I really wanted to like Reunion as a native mac app but the interface feels so dated, there is no print or printable manual, their approach to citations is just weird and forget gedcom.

I am using FTM 2017 (2019 coming) until I can see RM8 (if it ever surfaces). It is unacceptable to have no trial or demo in such an expensive program. All competitors do let you try before buying. I only bought it because a $50 gift card fell into my hands which covered the upgrade price from a '90s version. Heredis seemed good but I had trouble with text size and found the absence of tech support and the french language focus a problem.

MFT was the best mac app I have used but the tree interface is awful and in trying to use it I found too many clumsy aspects that were simple in FTM and RM7.

#53 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:53 PM

Gents;

If like me, you have used a number of genealogy apps over the years, you'll probably find that none really do what you want. And, they're all frustratingly similar wrt. the paradigm. So; I gave up waiting for RM8 and started doing my own references, analyses, and reports in Scrivener (a writing environment). It works quite well. It gives me a substantial amount of flexibility in doing and recording things like "FAN" research results. When RM8 finally arrives, I'll just cut and paste the bits I want to put into RM8 to make the standard charts. At that point, one really doesn't need to enter all the background FAN data, just your lineage, and one app is almost as good as another for that.

As you can tell, I've never liked being held at the mercy of a genealogy software company. So; I did something about it. Whether that approach works for you is up to you.

#54 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 04:01 PM

Bradley;

I really wanted to like Reunion as a native mac app but the interface feels so dated, there is no print or printable manual, their approach to citations is just weird and forget gedcom.

I am using FTM 2017 (2019 coming) until I can see RM8 (if it ever surfaces). It is unacceptable to have no trial or demo in such an expensive program. All competitors do let you try before buying. I only bought it because a $50 gift card fell into my hands which covered the upgrade price from a '90s version. Heredis seemed good but I had trouble with text size and found the absence of tech support and the french language focus a problem.

MFT was the best mac app I have used but the tree interface is awful and in trying to use it I found too many clumsy aspects that were simple in FTM and RM7.

Well, the Reunion interface wasn't so dated when I started using it! But yeah, it is now. The integrated digital manual took a little getting used to, but I like it now. Citations and lack of shared events is what has me shopping around and waiting (impatiently) for RM8 or I'll go with Heredis. GEDCOM, I did a lot of editing and got it where I want it and now I'd have to make some customization for any other program.

FTM, no historical place names, no free trial, and seemed too PCish. Yeah, MFT is frustrating, not sure exactly how to explain it.

Heredis and RM7 have shared events (why is Reunion so opposed to this crucial feature???!!!!), good sourcing/citations and GEDCOM-friendly. When I first started seriously shopping around, RM was better, but now Heredis has surpassed it; waiting on RM8 before making a final decision--but not waiting forever.

#55 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 16 September 2019 - 10:31 PM

Installment three:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3266

#56 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Four:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3274

#57 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2073 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

Five:

http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3280

#58 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:00 AM

No surprise here:  FTM 2019 launched today (30th anniversary) and will roll out 10,000 emails at a time over the next week or so based on when pre-ordered. A new (expensive) manual will be available to buy when you download your program copy.

My own guess is that Bruce launches RM8 by 2020 Roots tech based solely on the slow pace of RM8 teases coming out now and wild optimism on my part.

#59 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:27 AM

My own guess is that Bruce launches RM8 by 2020 Roots tech based solely on the slow pace of RM8 teases coming out now and wild optimism on my part.

Apple usually releases their O/S updates in early October, which is only a few days away. Since the Mac O/S is going 64-bit only, I think that there will be some very unhappy users, if RM7 doesn't run on the new "Catalina". If RM goes to the trouble of updating the virtual machine, rather than releasing RM8, it will indicate that it will be a LONG while until it gets released.

#60 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 08:36 AM

Unhappy mac users have not bothered rootsmagic support for years so why expect any change with a new 64 bit os?

If Bruce is within a few months of RM8 why bother with a new crossover version? Also codeweaver does not have a 64 bit version yet because they wasted years not preparing for this.

Only those looking for trouble will update to Catalina in October. Much better to wait for the first or second bug fix cycle in November/December. This leaves RM7 mac users as is under Mojave and earlier OSes.