#21 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:30 PM

"... it doesn't work native Mac ..."

https://www.fhug.org...pad_android_etc

Thanks for the input. But the part of your post that I quoted cinches it for me. I have had enough of 'emulators' and 'virtual machines'. Another layer of complications and potential bugs. More support. More cost. IMO just not worth the hassle any more.

#22 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

Thanks for the input. But the part of your post that I quoted cinches it for me. I have had enough of 'emulators' and 'virtual machines'. Another layer of complications and potential bugs. More support. More cost. IMO just not worth the hassle any more.

I fully understand, sadly the Mac market does have less choice in genealogy siftware.

#23 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:29 PM

FH is a windows only program. No sane mac user does virtualization due to many problems, much expense, unstable result and great strain on your computer. Codeweaver crossover bottle approach is easier on the mac if not the user and is why current mac RM7 customers are so very unhappy. Many issues only increasing over time with no fixes coming perhaps due to the effort to launch an almost mythical native mac RM8.

#24 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:35 PM

As of 6-24-2019 RM7 no longer works with the Mac OS Catalina 10.15 Beta because it is a 32-bit system and not optimized for 64-bit. I do not think that RootsMagic can rely on the container program to allow the 32-bit system to run on the 64-bit OS unless there is an update beyond the current RM7 for the Mac. I believe push has come to shove for RM8.

#25 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 06:32 AM

Push came to shove for a native mac RM8 years ago and not even a burp.

Catalina will not be release until October 1 and most people will wait for 2 or 3 months and 2 bug fix updates before switching. Until then RM7 will continue to work in it's normal crippled annoying fashion. Codeweaver will update to 64 bit for their customers and perhaps Bruce will pay for a new RM7 bottle.

#26 chasemartin

chasemartin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 11:38 PM

leepetmar@yahoo.ca:

I switched to FTM 2017 2 years ago and an update is due out this fall. It works fine on a mac and has ancestry and Family search hints.

If RM8 mac version ever appears I will try it but it has remained vaporware for the past half decade and I have not too many of those left. The unfortunate decision to develop tree synching with ancestry seems to have stopped work on a mac version.

For anyone considering a switch to FTM for Mac - you may want to reconsider. The reason I'm trying RootsMagic is that FTM simply will not sync correctly with Ancestry 9 times out of 10. I end up having to throw away the desktop file and redownload from Ancestry because the file is hopelessly corrupted and the head counts don't match. I have a very large file, so it's time-consuming. That aside - there are many, many complaints that FTM integration with Ancestry is just not ready for prime time. It looks nicer than RM7... so, there's that.

#27 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:33 AM

That aside - there are many, many complaints that FTM integration with Ancestry is just not ready for prime time. It looks nicer than RM7... so, there's that.

Personally I am expecting a release of RM8 around US thanksgiving but then I know no more than anyone else on here.

Ancestry interaction appears to have given a few companies a problem in delivering what a lot of users desire, I do hope it has been worth it but it's not high up on my list. On that topic I believe I have read posts from users who have spoken to Bruce Buzbee at various events this year and, I believe, there was a mention Ancestry integration would not be ready for market on RM8 release date and would need to come in an update. These comments were on the Rootsmagic Facebook Group which I am no longer subscribed to so if I am wrong then someone please correct me?

Anything being temporarily posponed or promised for "down the road a bit" does not fill me with confidence due to the many issues from the past which simply have not been dealt with through many versions. I am glad Rootsmagic will be cross platform and I do hope it incorporates the tools serious researchers need and demand and secures a solid PD & Mac market. I am not obsessed with trying to sync with an Ancestry Tree as there is so much garbage up there, however I do find it useful upload trees as bait for other same family researchers.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#28 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:22 AM

macfamily tree has a free demo. I hated the pedigree layout and did not like the software in general. topten dropped it from its best choices list.

macfamilytree is one of the seven or eight genealogy apps that I purchased at one point.

I use it from time to time to supplement roots magic, but would struggle to use it as a permanent alternative.

Pros

it has a mobile app that can be used to edit trees that integrates well with the desktop app

it has familysearch integration that works very differently to that in roots magic. It has a twostep workflow-

1. it produces a list of potential matches that you where you view and assign if you are convinced that your tree record and familysearch persona represent the same person

2. it produces lists of assigned familysearch personae where either 1. familysearch.org shows parents/children who arent in your tree or 2. the familysearch data has been changed and you then choose to accept individual facts using a somewhat pleasing UI. It feels like integrating familysearch facts is a slightly more pleasing operation.

i typically use mac family tree when i am researching a new line that may or may not turn out to be related to me and there is . alot of familysearch data vs the amount of ancestry.com data  

Cons

1. I find the interface for viewing a tree confusing to navigate and wasteful of screen space - even my 5K iMac 27" screen feels cramped with it.

2. the duplicate search functionality is very time-consuming to use - much weaker than rootsmagics

3. the gedcom export uses a different tag for family-search-ID than rootsmagic, so I have to use a reformating script if i want to export a gedcom from macfamilytree and then import into rootsmagic

just my opinion

#29 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:24 AM

Thanks, Jerry. I read a cryptic note from a persion who saw one of the Version 8 demos, describing an improvement that makes RM more Ancestry-like in the search for information and that will help us add directly from Ancestry into our trees within RM, allowing us to bypass the use of TreeShare to seek for stuff in Ancestry, update the Ancestry tree and then continue with the cumbersome process of synchronizing the RM database with the Ancestry tree.

The dilemma is:  RM doesn't realize that TreeShare is next to useless without Global Update. However, if version 8 moves an Ancestry-like use of Hint functionality into RM, then the lack of Global Update doesn't matter.

What is "Global Update?"

#30 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:46 AM

I believe "Global Update" is a reference to the fact that TreeShare does not have a true automatic sync. After the original copying of data from RM to ancestry or from ancestry to RM, TreeShare syncing is a very laborious and manual process where each individual source and each individual fact has to be manually approved on a case by case basis.. So the lack of a "Global Update" is a reference to the lack of a true automatic sync. On the other hand, FTM has a true automatic sync with ancestry and FTM users complain about data corruption associated with the true automatic sync.

Jerry

#31 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:03 AM

chasemartin:

FTM ancestry sync works fine for most people including me. Perhaps you should compact your tree to repair possible file corruption. FTM apparently works better on Macs than pcs judging by the complaints.

If you really want synching problems RM7 will oblige based on forum comments. It really is a demanding feature for any software and gets worse when the two data structures do not match. Many experienced genealogists (not me) seem to stick with manual entries to their database.

#32 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 09:09 AM

chasemartin:

FTM ancestry sync works fine for most people including me. Perhaps you should compact your tree to repair possible file corruption. FTM apparently works better on Macs than pcs judging by the complaints.

If you really want synching problems RM7 will oblige based on forum comments. It really is a demanding feature for any software and gets worse when the two data structures do not match. Many experienced genealogists (not me) seem to stick with manual entries to their database.

Not to mention the many many ways users record data often to achieve some goal the software doesn't facilitate on top of all Place naming personal styles, duplication-duplication-duplication

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#33 Craig Marshall

Craig Marshall

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Thanks Rooty. That helps narrow the field.

My experience is different from Rooty.  I've been using MacFamilyTree for a number of years and find it excellent.  I was driven to it by frustration with RM, plus the decision by Reunion to abandon an interface with FamilySearch (apart from that, Reunion is my favourite family history app).  I can understand Rooty's comment though.  The MFT user interface is unlike any other and takes a bit of getting used to.  But like any learning curve, as you persist it becomes familiar, manageable, and eventually in my case, enjoyable and productive.  Best of all for my needs, the interface with FamilySearch is smooth as silk and very fast (better, in my opinion, than RM).  The earliest versions were a bit clunky with FamilySearch but the connection and data share is superb in MFT8.  In fact, MFT has steadily improved from the first versions and is now a powerful, well-featured, customisable tool.  Its graphical charts are second to none.  It's certainly worth downloading a demo and having a play.  No idea why top 10 dropped it - it has good reviews in the Apple Store, with an average of 4.3.

#34 jeldard

jeldard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2019 - 09:48 PM

I have been putting all my data into RootsMagic 7 since RootsTech. With everything People are saying about the product maybe I should try a different standalone program with Ancestry as my online.

#35 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3589 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:13 AM

I have been putting all my data into RootsMagic 7 since RootsTech. With everything People are saying about the product maybe I should try a different standalone program with Ancestry as my online.

Comments from other users can be insightful, but ultimately you need to choose the genealogy software that meets your personal needs. What are your needs? Is RM meeting them? That's what really matters.

I have been very frustrated with certain aspects of RM for years. But when I have looked at alternatives, the frustrations I encounter are even worse than with RM. So I find that RM does meet my needs very well and I figure out workarounds for my frustrations with RM. I'll never quit looking at alternatives, and I may or may not change to a different software someday. It's sort of like Winston Churchill's famous quote about democracy. When he was frustrated with democracy, he said that democracy is the worst form of government there is. Except for all the others.

And do remember that each person's needs are different. Just because RM or one of its competitors meets my needs doesn't necessarily mean the same solution meets your needs. And vice versa.

Jerry

#36 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 07:39 AM

All software is a highly personal choice reflecting individual preferences with the interface, features and reliability of a program. However, a generally good program must keep current with the competition and the consumer market. Ten years ago developers could ignore the Mac market as a niche and thumb their noses at gedcom compatibility and internet website interactions. Now website data is very desirable to users and Windows is a creaky malware-riddled marginalized OS. People also want to try competitive programs and be able to jump ship with their data from companies that fail to keep up or dump their customers (like ancestry and FTM).

#37 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 02:40 PM

Unfortunately; I bought the advanced licence last December/January. I'm starting to wish I hadn't. Given the apparent inability of the developers to make a drop of RM8 within a reasonable time-period, I also don't expect that any of the inevitable post-release bug-fixes will be made quickly either. Having worked as a software engineer, I know that there is a time when you have to do a release and work the reported bugs, or start to lose you customer base.

I understand that FTM 2019 is due soon. Perhaps that will be the incentive that is sorely needed.

#38 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 August 2019 - 04:13 PM

Hunter;

The customer loss window has begun to close so that pressure is gone. However, Bruce will probably release something 12/31/19 but as you said the first pass will be full of bugs for we consumers to find. Feel good that you will get RM8 much cheaper than the rest of us skeptics.

Craig;

MFT did seem to be a supurb mac program. Everything was very fast and smooth and there was a decent PDF manual. I really had trouble with the odd and tiny tree layout and never could find a way to mark and return to the root person which is a one click deal in other programs. Even large text size was very tiny for old eyes.

#39 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 05:21 PM

Unfortunately; I bought the advanced licence last December/January. I'm starting to wish I hadn't. Given the apparent inability of the developers to make a drop of RM8 within a reasonable time-period, I also don't expect that any of the inevitable post-release bug-fixes will be made quickly either. Having worked as a software engineer, I know that there is a time when you have to do a release and work the reported bugs, or start to lose you customer base.

I understand that FTM 2019 is due soon. Perhaps that will be the incentive that is sorely needed.

Rootsmagic has recently intimated that they will start teasing new features periodically via the blog, I believe that needs to start sooner rather than later to raise potential customer excitement and engage ths current customer base.

I remember this approach being used for the RM4 release and it continued for 8 months or more whilst the current window of expectation is around 4 months. The approach does have it's downside of raising customer expectations and reducing patience for the product to make release.

Root

#40 History Hunter

History Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the news, Vyger. I put all data entry on hold this past spring, because I have no idea what to expect from RM8 and may end up switching to FTM 2019. Exporting from RM7 and importing FTM 2019 could have issues, hence I'm just keeping new data in external research note files until this situation plays out. Not that I plan to forgo a relational database altogether, but this situation has demonstrated rather clearly the risks of "hitching ones wagon to a particular horse".