4 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

1. Still no information on when/if it will launch: Quarter 2..3..4..2020?

2. If RM8 does launch will a $10 manual/user guide be available at the same time? Those really help clue me in to features and the RM7 book is way out of date now.

3. Will RM8 be 64 bit or an obsolete 32 bit on launch?

Thank You.

#2 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

I've been away from this for a while.  Is there any word about a native-macOS version of RootsMagic, or did it happen when I wasn't looking, or is it on indefinite hold?

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

We were told it is in development, so it is a when and not an if and to work with Mac OS properly, it has to be 64 bit and not 32 bit. 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3332 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

The most current publicly available information about RM8 is sketchy. I believe the following is accurate.

• RM8 will run natively on both Windows and Mac. No Windows emulator or anything like that will be required on a Mac.
  • RM8 will be 64 bit - or at least it will be 64 bit on a Mac and I can't imagine it being 64 bit on a Mac and 32 bit on Windows.
  • There has been no announcement of a release date for RM8. However, there was the following statement about RM as a part of the 2018 RM holiday special. "Plus, you will receive a free download of RootsMagic 8 when it is released in 2019 ."
  • The RM developers are focusing all their efforts on RM8. No other development is in progress.
  • No indication of beta testing has yet appeared on any public RM forums.
  • There was a brief demo of RM8 at the RootsTech conference on 28 Feb 2019. The demo was not recorded. The promo for the demo was as follows: "Stop by our booth to see a special preview of our amazing new release- RootsMagic 8 (coming soon)!".

Jerry

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3318 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:46 AM

1. Still no information on when/if it will launch: Quarter 2..3..4..2020?

I understand any impatience expressed by Mac users, this native Mac version has been talked about for quite some time now and will appear, this year?

I would prefer to wait for a complete and reliable program rather than face a lot of bugs and problems, I'm sure others would agree. Being a "re-write" this is similar to the RM3 to RM4 transition and when RM4 was released there were numerous problems, some which affected data integrity which took several months to resolve.

I'm currently working between 2 programs and being patient for the new versions possibly of both, I would advocate patience for a quality program rather than some half baked premature release.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.8, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root