87 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:46 PM

1. Still no information on when/if it will launch: Quarter 2..3..4..2020?

2. If RM8 does launch will a $10 manual/user guide be available at the same time? Those really help clue me in to features and the RM7 book is way out of date now.

3. Will RM8 be 64 bit or an obsolete 32 bit on launch?

Thank You.

#2 jasnw

jasnw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 04:55 PM

I've been away from this for a while.  Is there any word about a native-macOS version of RootsMagic, or did it happen when I wasn't looking, or is it on indefinite hold?

#3 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:21 PM

We were told it is in development, so it is a when and not an if and to work with Mac OS properly, it has to be 64 bit and not 32 bit. 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

The most current publicly available information about RM8 is sketchy. I believe the following is accurate.

• RM8 will run natively on both Windows and Mac. No Windows emulator or anything like that will be required on a Mac.
  • RM8 will be 64 bit - or at least it will be 64 bit on a Mac and I can't imagine it being 64 bit on a Mac and 32 bit on Windows.
  • There has been no announcement of a release date for RM8. However, there was the following statement about RM as a part of the 2018 RM holiday special. "Plus, you will receive a free download of RootsMagic 8 when it is released in 2019 ."
  • The RM developers are focusing all their efforts on RM8. No other development is in progress.
  • No indication of beta testing has yet appeared on any public RM forums.
  • There was a brief demo of RM8 at the RootsTech conference on 28 Feb 2019. The demo was not recorded. The promo for the demo was as follows: "Stop by our booth to see a special preview of our amazing new release- RootsMagic 8 (coming soon)!".

Jerry

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 05:46 AM

1. Still no information on when/if it will launch: Quarter 2..3..4..2020?

I understand any impatience expressed by Mac users, this native Mac version has been talked about for quite some time now and will appear, this year?

I would prefer to wait for a complete and reliable program rather than face a lot of bugs and problems, I'm sure others would agree. Being a "re-write" this is similar to the RM3 to RM4 transition and when RM4 was released there were numerous problems, some which affected data integrity which took several months to resolve.

I'm currently working between 2 programs and being patient for the new versions possibly of both, I would advocate patience for a quality program rather than some half baked premature release.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:06 AM

Where can I find a summary of the principal functional enhancements in Version 8?

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:10 AM

In your dreams!

Long promised, a native mac version is still a fantasy with no information available. 

Mac users remain stuck with the increasingly buggy crossover version.

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

The chief enhancement will probably be that it will run natively on a Mac without needing a Windows emulation wrapper.

There have been a brief demos of RM8 at a couple of genealogical conferences, and the other most obvious difference seems to be that RM8 seems to much less modal with more of what you need being on the screen at the same time instead of all the pop-up windows that you have to dismiss before you can proceed.

Jerry

#9 miguelk

miguelk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 05:58 PM

Thanks, Jerry. I read a cryptic note from a persion who saw one of the Version 8 demos, describing an improvement that makes RM more Ancestry-like in the search for information and that will help us add directly from Ancestry into our trees within RM, allowing us to bypass the use of TreeShare to seek for stuff in Ancestry, update the Ancestry tree and then continue with the cumbersome process of synchronizing the RM database with the Ancestry tree.

The dilemma is:  RM doesn't realize that TreeShare is next to useless without Global Update. However, if version 8 moves an Ancestry-like use of Hint functionality into RM, then the lack of Global Update doesn't matter.

#10 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:19 PM

I understand any impatience expressed by Mac users, this native Mac version has been talked about for quite some time now and will appear, this year?

Hi Vyger. To say " ... has been talked about for quite some time now ..." has to be one of the great understatements of the year!!! (I'm not criticizing you, by the way). It has been at least 5 years that we have heard the same basic message from RM -- something like "It is in development. No estimated release date will be given. When it is available it will be announced."

I now have had NO genealogy program for about a year, because I was running RM on Parallels in my iMac when Parallels packed up, and I trashed it (RM was the only PC-based application I had left). I did not want to go through the pain of struggling with some kind of hybrid kluge after reading some of the nightmarish stories users are having trying to keep RM running on their Macs. I figured "They've been leading us along for so long now, it CAN'T be much longer ...". Was I wrong.

I am about to give up on RM, and buy something that works, such as FTM or Mac Family Tree. This has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous being strung along by RM for many years, with no end in sight. *** HEAVY SIGH ***

Does anyone else feel as I do?

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:33 PM

leepetmar@yahoo.ca:

I switched to FTM 2017 2 years ago and an update is due out this fall. It works fine on a mac and has ancestry and Family search hints.

Parallels versions are very trouble prone and hard on your mac. The codeweaver fake rm7 has an expanding list of problems which are not being resolved. Reunion seems dated and clumsy with no print nor pdf manual.

If RM8 mac version ever appears I will try it but it has remained vaporware for the past half decade and I have not too many of those left. The unfortunate decision to develop tree synching with ancestry seems to have stopped work on a mac version.

#12 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

I switched to FTM 2017 2 years ago and an update is due out this fall. It works fine on a mac and has ancestry and Family search hints.

Rooty: Thanks for the feedback. I think I will fully investigate FTM and make the leap if we are stuck "in limbo" with RM.

#13 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:15 AM

Rooty: Thanks for the feedback. I think I will fully investigate FTM and make the leap if we are stuck "in limbo" with RM.

You could always try RM7 under the full version of CrossOver. I’ve been running that for several years and it is absolutely rock solid for me with the current highest versions of everything. I do not use the Ancestry function but am a very heavy user of the Family Search interface. I just leave RM running for days, with my iMac sleeping when I’m not using it. When I switch to RM, it just continues and any use of FS just continues from where it was. No need to re-login or anything like that. I’m not sure when I last had to kill (force shut) RM, but it has moved over the years from not that infrequently to very very infrequently.

Yes, Crossover costs money, but worth the pleasure I get out of the genealogy hunt.

PS Yes, it is still a 32bit application in Mac terms, so won’t run on Catalina as is. One has to assume that they will fix that or they will no longer have a Mac market. So, if you were to go that way, there would be an interesting race between a Crossover update, RM8, and your possible desire to get on to Catalina. You have to decide whether an interim extra cost is a price worth paying.

#14 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3421 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 03:30 AM

Hi Vyger. To say " ... has been talked about for quite some time now ..." has to be one of the great understatements of the year!!! (I'm not criticizing you, by the way). It has been at least 5 years that we have heard the same basic message from RM -- something like "It is in development. No estimated release date will be given. When it is available it will be announced."

I now have had NO genealogy program for about a year, because I was running RM on Parallels in my iMac when Parallels packed up, and I trashed it (RM was the only PC-based application I had left). I did not want to go through the pain of struggling with some kind of hybrid kluge after reading some of the nightmarish stories users are having trying to keep RM running on their Macs. I figured "They've been leading us along for so long now, it CAN'T be much longer ...". Was I wrong.

I am about to give up on RM, and buy something that works, such as FTM or Mac Family Tree. This has gone from the sublime to the ridiculous being strung along by RM for many years, with no end in sight. *** HEAVY SIGH ***

Does anyone else feel as I do?

I do fully understand your frustration and now regret the definitive nature of my statement about “this year” and retract it.

I have been with the company 20+ years and remember a time when development was happy and willing to respond to user feedback in a timely manner. However those years and willing user interaction are now a distant memory and I have no idea why.

It’s no secret this may be my last year with the company as I am all wished out and also frustrated, loyalty only spreads so far and mine is now paper thin. Bottom line is I must progress my research through a modern and capable program, there has been too much wishing over more than your five year wait and in my opinion Rootsmagic has fallen well behind the competition. What is left of my loyalty will allow me to wait and see before making the final decision to swap to my current side program but needs must.

Some users have the attitude that RM8 should be got to market once bug free and then enhancements can be dealt with later, sadly I do not share their confidence with some gaps which I identified when RM4 was released still not dealt with. Glaring problems like lack of sidebar sorting in Named Groups and no additional birth of RIN detail in Mapping are not enhancement requests in my opinion they are a lack of due diligence in catering for basic requirements of such lists and have remained unchanged and therefore not useful.

For one such example the ability to Print events at a Place exists in the Place List but a button to do the same is missing from Place Details, obviously an oversight?, no. I identified this to Rootsmagic back in 2011 and it has never been dealt with through various versions. I can write the SQL query in about 30 seconds, sticking a button on that UI and linking it out might take another 10 minutes then tweaking the report format if needed might take another hour being generous. However despite my requests, various other users asking the same both here and on Facebook the problem has not been closed. So I think you can see why I am not willing to enter into another round of wishing for enhancements after a partial release of what users need.

The link below shows one of my early highlights of this single issue, seven and a half years ago!!, the wish list is bulging to breaking point with good and valid suggestions. In regards to “this year” and the native Mac version each user must make their own decision, I need to move my research forward in a capable and professional program, I wait to see if Rootsmagic can fit that bill on release.

http://forums.rootsm...ton-please-add/

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#15 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:32 AM

Perhaps it would be helpful for experienced genealogists (not me) to list alternative software programs they have found as potential replacements for the mythical but anticipated RM8? Switching is not easy due to gedcom data transfer issues and any other program will have it's own warts.

Family Tree Maker 2017 (and 2019 update soon) has gone from a buggy disaster in Ancestry's hands to a capable native mac app under MacKiev. Definitely not perfect but it provides Ancestry and Family Search hints and syncs well even for people with huge files claiming to go back to Neanderthal ancestors. Since the data structures match better, syncing causes less manual redo than in RM7.

I have looked at most other native mac programs casually without much joy and refuse to use virtualization which is as bad as the current RM7 crossover app.

Bruce's reluctance to provide any timeline information on RM8 is understandable but if he really has a viable product near completion then it is time to prepare his customers with possible release, feature and other information. Hopefully he will also have a simple manual available as usual. 

#16 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:46 AM

JP;

Embarrassing if the Codeweaver product is so much better than the RM7 kludge app from Bruce.

Catalina is a major new OS that will not be a stable product for several months after fall release. I wait for at least 2 bug fix updates and monitor the reviews for issues and features while waiting. Mojave is very stable and powerful and still runs 32 bit apps not updated by slow developers. Apple supports 3 OS versions back so it is easy to wait.

#17 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Does anyone have any comments whatsoever on this software -- MacFamilyTree 8 ?

#18 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:10 AM

macfamily tree has a free demo. I hated the pedigree layout and did not like the software in general. topten dropped it from its best choices list.

#19 leepetmar@yahoo.ca

leepetmar@yahoo.ca

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

macfamily tree has a free demo. I hated the pedigree layout and did not like the software in general. topten dropped it from its best choices list.

Thanks Rooty. That helps narrow the field.

#20 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:02 PM

Perhaps it would be helpful for experienced genealogists (not me) to list alternative software programs they have found as potential replacements for the mythical but anticipated RM8? Switching is not easy due to gedcom data transfer issues and any other program will have it's own warts.

Family Tree Maker 2017 (and 2019 update soon) has gone from a buggy disaster in Ancestry's hands to a capable native mac app under MacKiev. Definitely not perfect but it provides Ancestry and Family Search hints and syncs well even for people with huge files claiming to go back to Neanderthal ancestors. Since the data structures match better, syncing causes less manual redo than in RM7.

I have looked at most other native mac programs casually without much joy and refuse to use virtualization which is as bad as the current RM7 crossover app.

Bruce's reluctance to provide any timeline information on RM8 is understandable but if he really has a viable product near completion then it is time to prepare his customers with possible release, feature and other information. Hopefully he will also have a simple manual available as usual. 

I was gifted Rootsmagic 18 months ago, I'm not on a Mac but already considering the switch to Family Historian but waiting to see what the next RM brings. Personally I find Family Historian much superior and polished, less jumping about windows and a great ancestor and mapping view. Also their version of people view can show family events and most things can be filtered straight on screen to narrow down what I need to find. Switching will take a bit of work so I don't loose data via gedcom so I am waiting for now to see what comes along, and when. There are many videos online showing the features and a full feature trial, personally I am finding it much quicker to use and much more informative which is important to me, it doesn't work native Mac but the link below discusses that.

https://www.fhug.org...pad_android_etc