6 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 08:49 AM

Many death records provide the marital status at the time of death, and the name of the spouse if married or widowed.

This can be a useful addition for RM's death fact, because the fact the person is single at age 60 at death means, don't bother looking for marriage records, spend time on something usefuller.

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1649 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

Change the facts or the sentence information on the Death fact.  Add the description /desc in the sentence and use it to document that piece of information you want to add.  Or copy the Death fact and make your own including the sentence.  Good suggestions in the F1/help file on how to do this.  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 06 April 2019 - 06:00 PM

Many death records provide the marital status at the time of death, and the name of the spouse if married or widowed.

This can be a useful addition for RM's death fact, because the fact the person is single at age 60 at death means, don't bother looking for marriage records, spend time on something usefuller.

I have only a few custom facts and Marital Status is one of them, another useful one I have is Recorded Age where I enter the date and the age registered in description field, this can then be compared to Rootsmagic calculation. I have been working a lot of death events recently and the other thing I do is blank any widow surnames and enter an Alternate Name type Married as the death registration will be under the married and not birth name.

I call these sanity check facts and they are disabled from reporting and gedcom output by editing the Fact Type, I also have them all set to Private via SQL to prevent Ancestry uploads.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:08 AM

I have recorded 'marital status at death' for years - going way back to PAF I just used to add info to person notes - but I treat only as a 'guide' as in some cases it might cloud the issue of 'further research'  ie not married does not mean a person did not have children or  a long term 'partner' as is common today, perhaps very unusual in the past but it did happen. I also have a couple of instances where a divorcee was recorded as single at death and similarly I found a divorced cousin recorded as single in 1939 register, perhaps preferring not to admit to divorce?. None the less I think its useful info to record!

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3427 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 05:19 AM

I have recorded 'marital status at death' for years - going way back to PAF I just used to add info to person notes - but I treat only as a 'guide' as in some cases it might cloud the issue of 'further research'  ie not married does not mean a person did not have children or  a long term 'partner' as is common today, perhaps very unusual in the past but it did happen. I also have a couple of instances where a divorcee was recorded as single at death and similarly I found a divorced cousin recorded as single in 1939 register, perhaps preferring not to admit to divorce?. None the less I think its useful info to record!

The other place I have found the visibility of the Marital Status through time useful is when entering a marriage and either party is noted as widowed. If entering an individual/couple from a marriage registration I approximate the birth years as marriage date -18 years unless the registration document is more specific that 'Full'. In the case of a widowed person I revise this approximation to -30 years, although it is usually greater it places them in the timeline. Having the visibility of a person being widowed not only prompts me to search out the previous partner(s) but also their death(s).

We know Marital Status can also come from census records so having it noted several times in a persons life by date of event becomes useful, I can also sort the widowed on People View for further research. If you want to make use of such a statistic I would suggest something other than Notes for the data entry.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3595 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 06:01 AM

If you want to make use of such a statistic I would suggest something other than Notes for the data entry.

Good point.

I put a lot of data into notes and I also have a lot of user defined facts. It's not always obvious which is the best approach. Sometimes it's a little bit of both - a user defined fact and the note for that fact. I also use the Description field a great deal because it's so readily findable and it works well in People View, unlike notes.

I do find that I'm moving completely away from General Notes (people notes) in favor of fact notes. My use of the General Note is an old (and now unfortunate) habit from the days of PAF.

Jerry

#7 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1045 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 04:15 PM

I just add a note with the appropriate information.