• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patski107

patski107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

Ancestry is where I do the bulk of the work on my tree and then I Tree Share with RM. I recently discovered an error in my tree that is going to require a lot of deleting. If I delete the person's parents then everyone before them will become orphans. Is there an easy way in RM to then select these orphans and delete them? And, when I Tree Share again with Ancestry will they be removed?

Thank you.

Pat

Pat

patski107genealogy@gmail.com

gedmatch.com kit # T338857

https://www.ancestry...e/tree/88886076

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 11:40 AM

If you unlink the child from the incorrect parents you should have a separate tree in RM. Go to Tools>Count Trees to find them. You could color-code everyone in that separate tree. You can also make a group of everyone in that tree. If you want to use TreeShare to help identify and delete them you could. TreeShare can filter to groups and show color-coding. You would need to remove the match in TreeShare and then delete the person on Ancestry and RootsMagic. That only works on the Windows version of RM right now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 patski107

patski107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 April 2019 - 04:21 PM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for responding. I do all my work in Ancestry. If I go to my tree and sever the relationship between Mildred and her parents, when I sync my tree with RM it will create a separate tree for all the people who became orphans when I severed the relationship? If it creates a separate tree when I sync RM with Ancestry all of the orphans will be gone?

I thought TreeShare was the name of the sync part of RM. How does TreeShare help identify them?

Pat

Pat

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 10:22 AM

You would need to remove the links inside RM to do the steps I mentioned earlier. That is the only way to have separate trees inside the database to work from. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 patski107

patski107

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

I don't want separate trees. I need to remove/delete people and I'm trying to find the most efficient way and not have to go to each individual person and delete them. I thought there was a way in RM to select a person and their ancestors. I'll do more research.

Thanks

Pat

Pat

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3534 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:25 PM

There are ways in RM to "select a person and their ancestors", but such ways don't work for deleting people. By design, RM does not support any kind of bulk delete. Instead, the largest collection of people you can delete from RM all at one go is a family unit - mother, father, and children. RM has stated that they will never support a bulk delete. The concern is that a user will bulk delete by accident and not have a backup. And remember that RM does not have an undo capability. The way you do an undo in RM is to restore from a backup.

The workaround is to drag and drop an existing RM database into a new and empty RM database. As a part of the drag and drop process, you can mark people to drag and top to the the new and empty database. Anybody not so marked is not copied to the new and empty database. The marking process for drag and drop does support bulk marking - like all ancestors, etc. Also, you can initially mark everybody to keep, but before you complete the drag and drop you can unmark those you don't want to keep. This is more like what you want to do. So you could drag and drop, mark everybody, and then you can bulk unmark those you don't want to keep.

There are certain data items that can be lost on a drag and drop. I'm never quite sure how big of a deal to make about such data losses. Most of them are fairly obscure and probably won't affect most users most of the time. But they do exist and they can be concerning.

Jerry

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 12:38 PM

If you only want to work on Ancestry then it sounds like the best option is to fix the issues in the tree on Ancestry. Then do a download into a new blank database in RootsMagic. 

Renee
RootsMagic