4 replies to this topic

#1 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:14 AM

Y'all have been fabulous with questions I've had recently, and I need your help again!

Here's what I did -- I changed the newspaper obituary source template to read:

[Person:HisHer] obituary was [Date], in the _______ newspaper [PlaceDetails] [Place].

I did this because I want to be able to put the obituary newspaper name in the sentence.  Now, of course, I need to find all of those people with a fact of Obituary and then go put the newspaper name in the "customize sentence" section.

I did a custom report of name-surname,given, rec #, spouse name (and their rec #), death place, death date.  Okay, that's great as far as who has a newspaper obituary as a source, but it's not quite getting me the fact of Obituary for those people who have an obituary fact.

I hope I've explained sufficiently what I need this report to be!  And I can assure you I've just made a whole lot of work for myself because many times, I've put the obituary as a source for death and not as a fact itself.  Arghhhhh!!!  (What was I thinking??)

If anybody has any suggestions to accomplish what I want in a different manner, please feel free to tell me and explain how to do it.

Nikki

#2 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

To get a report of all the people with the 'Obituary' fact, you can go to Lists>Fact Type List...>Click on 'Obituary">Click on Print. This will list everyone with this fact type.

#3 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

OMG, you are fabulous!!  Thank you so much for your quick reply.  I did what you wrote and it's only four pages.  I should have thought of this myself; duh!!  Now I will go and fix their sentence and at some point very soon I will put in an actual obituary fact for people from the first report I made referenced above, now that I know who they are.

Nikki

#4 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:11 AM

Glad I could help.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

You can enable the Description field for the Obit fact type and use it to enter the publication name, e.g.:

[Person:HisHer] obituary was [Date], in the [Desc] newspaper [PlaceDetails] [Place].

The use of the field rather than the custom sentence is better for export to other systems which can receive GEDCOM tag values but not RM custom stuff.

What are you putting in [PlaceDetails]?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.