5 replies to this topic

#1 clive richards

clive richards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

Hi,
Is there is a way of preparing a narrative report for someone who is married, but there are no children.
I have the history of both him and his wife, yet it seems to me that the only way to prepare a report showing both sets of ancestors is to give them a virtual child as the starting point.

That way worked, but am I wrong?
Thanks, 
Clive Richards

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3444 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 08:58 AM

You are talking about an ancestor narrative report. Your analysis is correct. The only ways to get ancestors for both spouses are to run two reports, one for each spouse, or to introduce a virtual child.

I suppose in the latter case you could save the report to an RTF file and edit it with a word processor to remove the virtual child from the report. Well, there is sort of a third option. You could run two reports, but you could make the two reports be chapters of a book created by RM's Publisher feature. You might or might not consider the Publisher option to be cleaner than using a Word Processor to remove a virtual child. I suspect that you will find that the Publisher option is cleaner and that it is probably your best option.

Jerry

P.S. Publisher does consolidate any indexes, so that a single index will cover all your chapters. It does not consolidate endnotes. All the endnotes do print at the end of the report, but within the endnotes there is a separate section of endnotes for each chapter.

#3 clive richards

clive richards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:04 AM

Many thanks, Jerry.

I've not spoken to my friend yet, so there is time for me to try all your options.

Cheers

#4 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

Expansion of Jerry's virtual child.  Create a child with first name "."  without the quotes.  Then delete the surname just for this child who does not exist.  I just tried it for a pedigree chart.  The root position of the chart shows a nearly blank name of just the "period".  It actually works by deleting the filler character "." and leaving it totally blank.

The ancestor narrative  starts with ". was born (date unknown)."  Then it has a couple of lines about the "Father and Mother had the following child".  You could save the report as a RTF version and edit out the extra line just as Jerry suggested.  Or print it directly and use white out.

#5 clive richards

clive richards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 06:48 AM

Thanks John - all grist to the mill!

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

Instead of the period, would it be possible to use the old invisible non-breaking space? It may be Unicode (U+200B). I don't recollect the ASCII value, but I'm pretty sure there was one. This goes back to the glory days of WordPerfect.