• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 FernNZ

FernNZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:16 PM

I recently had to replace my computer & my Ancestry Tree files are not available to me, how do I recover them, I understand Rootsmagic keeps 'copies' for this situation, I have Rootsmagic7

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:31 PM

If by Ancestry Tree files, you mean the trees you created in Ancestry.com or its domain for your region, they remain on Ancestry's servers and all you do is log into Ancestry.com with your web browser.

If instead you mean the tree database files that you created on the old computer using RootsMagic, then you have to transfer them to your new computer, just as you would for any document files, photos, music, videos, etc. that you want to continue having available.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

RootsMagic as a company does not store copies of your database. If you no longer have the computer then you need to recover your files from any external drive or service that you stored them on. If they were uploaded to a MyRootsMagic website those can be recovered. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 FernNZ

FernNZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 02:34 PM

I always believed they were on the Roots magic web site. There was a notice saying that in circumstances like this I can retrieve the files. I always get any update from there. I thought if I can get my registration key and go from there, but Rootsmagic says it doesn't recognise my email, yet I get the updates.  By what I've seen on the Ancestry site 'sharing' only gives others access to my tree from there.

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6162 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

RootsMagic software updates are on the RootsMagic website. You may have registered under an email address you used to use. If you no longer have that email account, you will have to wait to contact Tech Support or Sales when they reopen Monday.

If you have uploaded your tree to MyRootsMagic.com, then that server has a copy of your database file as it was at the time you uploaded and Tech Support can likely retrieve it and send to you. Otherwise, RootsMagic is not in possession of any of your data.

If you cannot enter your registration key, then I think the TreeShare functionality with Ancestry.com is disabled so you will have to wait until you can unlock your software. Meanwhile, look up on the RootsMagic site the videos and Magic sheet for TreeShare and anything else you are puzzled about.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 FernNZ

FernNZ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

I have 'found' my "Key" . I was hoping that this would retrieve the files from rootsmagic.  There is no problem on the Ancestry site but by sharing that only gives permission for others to edit, etc. I want to be able to download the tree into my computer.

I had a website, this is the name, http://MyRootsmagic.com/CampbellNZbut it is not recognised.

I've checked and my email address hasn't been changed so there is no reasonn for Rootsmagic to say it is not recognised.

The technician that 'fixed' my computer deleted the Rootsmagic programme, without my permission.

#7 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 06:20 PM

I believe the RootsMagic "coded ID" must match your registered "Name" not the e-mail address you used.  But, the replacement "coded ID" they send to you goes to your e-mail you used.

In any case, the demo version of RootsMagic will work without your "coded ID".  But the fancy features are not supported until you enter a matching registered "Name" and a "coded ID".

The full paid version will continue to work without entering a matching registered "Name" and a "coded ID" each time you use it.  I do not know what happens if you upgrade from one version of Windows to another, say from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

#8 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

In hindsight, you need to understand what you are doing on a computer in terms of what is stored where and in what format. You made choices here whether you were aware of them or not. You also probably are not backing up your computer. 

Get a basic computer book from a public library and scan through to understand what files, folders, documents, websites, apps/programs and backup mean so you can make better choices in the future. Try the visually teach your self series (amazon).

You will probably find your RM7 database file in your computer's documents folder and your media in your Pictures folder.

Ancestry.com will allow you to download your tree once you log in.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8336 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:55 AM

Your MyRootsMagic website is password protected. So it appears you do have something that RM could help you retrieve. Open a support ticket and we can check. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic