• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 11:20 PM

I've been updating my ancestry tree by using treeshare. I never update from Ancestry to Rootsmagic; all my additions and edits go on Rootsmagic and then get uploaded to Ancestry using treeshare. Suddenly I am finding that the media attached to people is disappearing from the Rootsmagic tree. Where there once was a photo, I now have the red X (broken link), and when I look at the file name, it is suddenly an Ancestry link.. eg, "http:\//trees.ancestry.com/rd?f=image&guid... blah blah blah".

What the heck? I deliberately only update going in one direction, to avoid having media or facts on ancestry, but not on Rootsmagic. This is pretty concerning.

Can someone tell me what's going on, and how to stop it?

Thanks!

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 07:49 AM

That is a mystery. It is as though you somehow imported a GEDCOM from Ancestry because that is the sort of link you would get. I wonder if TreeShare even sees such a link to media on Ancestry - it very much depends on the Ancestry API; if it does, then your symptom is suggestive of a TreeShare screw up but this is not something I've seen reported by others. Do you know if the affected sources came via WebHints? If they did, then you have been updating from Ancestry via TreeShare. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:27 AM

I have seen no reports on this behavior. As Tom mentions it sounds like a GEDCOM import from Ancestry than what will go through the Ancestry API. Especially when the path is going to trees.ancestry.com. That means it is connected to an Ancestry tree and not the collection itself. Have you checked the source citations? Check the person in TreeShare and see if you can recreate the download and if it happens again. 

There is no way the Ancestry API or WebHints can change media or their links on your computer once they have been downloaded. Are you sure your looking at the correct database?

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Megang66

Megang66

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:43 PM

I think I figured it out. I had uploaded the tree to ancestry (to my brother's account, not my own), made a few changes to it (I don't usually, but this was a new, very small tree), and then later decided I wanted to download it to my computer again, so that I could upload it to my ancestry account (I have a membership now, so wanted the tree hint benefit for his tree), so I downloaded a gedcom and opened it in Rootsmagic. So why did it leave behind my media, and is there a way to retrieve it for the tree on my rootsmagic program?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

Ancestry GEDCOMs do not contain media. You would need to use TreeShare with that smaller tree to download it with the media.

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

I am certainly glad that I don't bother uploading and downloading from this service.  It seems as if it is nothing but trouble.