• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pittnh

pittnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:39 PM

I'm on the latest Windows version.  When I generate files in XML/Java (version 6 style) and save to my hard drive, it just opens a blank page in chrome; none of the pedigree charts or data appear.  The weird thing is if I open immediately from the RM prompt after creating it, it works just fine.  Am I doing something wrong?  I click on the index.html to open my files, but as I said it just displays blanks.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 09:17 PM

That's a Chrome security feature to protect against malicious JavaScript. There's a workaround that requires closing all instances of Chrome and opening it with an option on the shortcut or command line.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 pittnh

pittnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:45 PM

That's a Chrome security feature to protect against malicious JavaScript. There's a workaround that requires closing all instances of Chrome and opening it with an option on the shortcut or command line.

I had a feeling it was the java scripting.  Do you know the setting I need to enable the script?

EDIT:  I found the setting and it was set to allow JS.  I started with a fresh Chrome window but it still doesn't work.  Do you know what the option/shortcut is?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8332 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:12 PM

Try a different default browser. Some browsers don't want to let javascript open files on the local server (for security reasons).  I have personally not been able to view the pages in Chrome, but have been able to using IE. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 pittnh

pittnh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Try a different default browser. Some browsers don't want to let javascript open files on the local server (for security reasons).  I have personally not been able to view the pages in Chrome, but have been able to using IE. 

looks like that is the case.  It is working on IE.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 01:56 PM

add:

--allow-file-access-from-files

to the end of the target text box after the quotes.

EX: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --allow-file-access-from-files

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 02:01 PM

Another is to set up a local webserver. There may even be an extension for Chrome to do so.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 08:50 PM

Further to the Chrome option, here was some early discussion of this very issue after RM6 came out.