• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Deana Vaughn

Deana Vaughn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

Recently I deleted a few people. Most of them disappeared as I expected, but two persons were kept and the system named them 'unknown. Actually one was named 'unknown unknown'. They have numbers. You cannot highlight them so you cannot delete this entry named 'unknown' from the index. I would like to delete them. Can you tell me how to do this? Thank you.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:18 PM

Have you run through the File > Database Tools? I don't recall what RM displays when there is a record in the PersonTable with no record in the NameTable. My old RMtrix utility could identify and delete those "nameless" people. See https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/But it is quite common for tree builders to enter "unknown" as a name so these records should be editable and can be deleted using RM. An oft-suggested remedy for seemingly undeletable data is to drag'n'drop everyone and everything except those you don't want to a new database. If you can live with the collateral losses, that might be a solution.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:10 AM

Are any of them spouses that had children?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

I don't recall what RM displays when there is a record in the PersonTable with no record in the NameTable. My old RMtrix utility could identify and delete those "nameless" people. See https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/

I don't think yours is a case of "nameless" people as I described above. I inserted such a record in the PersonTable and there seems to be no way in RM to see such a person record. So I believe your people have "unknown" entered in their name field(s) and are conventional records in that sense. Why you cannot delete them is a puzzle alright. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

I've seen [unknown] [unknown] on TreeShare when there is no name for the person there. I'm not sure if they are sent to RM with those names. I'm not sure why you can't delete them either. Would be best to open a support ticket with a backup of the database so we can look at it. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic