• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Deana Vaughn

Deana Vaughn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 05:12 PM

Recently I deleted a few people. Most of them disappeared as I expected, but two persons were kept and the system named them 'unknown. Actually one was named 'unknown unknown'. They have numbers. You cannot highlight them so you cannot delete this entry named 'unknown' from the index. I would like to delete them. Can you tell me how to do this? Thank you.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 09:18 PM

Have you run through the File > Database Tools? I don't recall what RM displays when there is a record in the PersonTable with no record in the NameTable. My old RMtrix utility could identify and delete those "nameless" people. See https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/But it is quite common for tree builders to enter "unknown" as a name so these records should be editable and can be deleted using RM. An oft-suggested remedy for seemingly undeletable data is to drag'n'drop everyone and everything except those you don't want to a new database. If you can live with the collateral losses, that might be a solution.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:10 AM

Are any of them spouses that had children?

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6179 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:02 PM

I don't recall what RM displays when there is a record in the PersonTable with no record in the NameTable. My old RMtrix utility could identify and delete those "nameless" people. See https://sqlitetoolsf...ilities-rmtrix/

I don't think yours is a case of "nameless" people as I described above. I inserted such a record in the PersonTable and there seems to be no way in RM to see such a person record. So I believe your people have "unknown" entered in their name field(s) and are conventional records in that sense. Why you cannot delete them is a puzzle alright. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 02:44 PM

I've seen [unknown] [unknown] on TreeShare when there is no name for the person there. I'm not sure if they are sent to RM with those names. I'm not sure why you can't delete them either. Would be best to open a support ticket with a backup of the database so we can look at it. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:33 AM

I've seen [unknown] [unknown] on TreeShare when there is no name for the person there. I'm not sure if they are sent to RM with those names. I'm not sure why you can't delete them either. Would be best to open a support ticket with a backup of the database so we can look at it. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

I now have 4 of them. Was there ever a resolution found for this?

Thanks

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 06:41 AM

When TreeShare first came out, I created what I called a baby steps database containing only one person as a way to test TreeShare. I would sync this baby steps database with ancestry using TreeShare. Then I would make one very simple change to the person either on RM or on ancestry to how TreeShare would react.

I found two immediate problems that were very frustrating. One was that if I changed Smith to SMITH or SMITH to Smith in RM, the change wouldn't go across to ancestry. The other was that if I changed Smith to null in RM, the change wouldn't go across to ancestry.

I found these problems so frustrating that I terminated my little baby steps project. I no longer wanted to know what all the TreeShare problems were, and instead I decided just to upload my RM database to ancestry once using TreeShare with no further syncs, just to use the copy of my database on ancestry for Webhints. I don't know if your "unknown" names are the same problem or not, but it sounds similar.

Jerry

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:40 AM

I now have 4 of them. Was there ever a resolution found for this?

It depends on where the issues is coming from. If the person doesn't have a name it will still show [unknown] [unknown]. That is the first thing to identify.

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

It depends on where the issues is coming from. If the person doesn't have a name it will still show [unknown] [unknown]. That is the first thing to identify.

Renee,

There are 4 instances, all showing [unknown] [unknown], followed by a number with no other information. I suspect they are related to TreeShare, but have no proof of that.

#10 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Are they linked to anyone in TreeShare?  If not then if that is all there is in the RM database you can delete them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#11 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 02:48 PM

Are they linked to anyone in TreeShare?  If not then if that is all there is in the RM database you can delete them. 

Renee,

They are not linked that I can tell. When I try to delete them, nothing happens.

#12 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 03:09 PM

If you can't delete them, and the database tools is not removing them then try a drag n drop into a new blank database. 

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#13 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:13 PM

I sometimes resort to a brute force method to get rid of "unknown" records.

Select the "unknown" record (I usually use Family View)

RM should ask for a name - assign a dummy name like "junk" or 'aa" or anything recognizable and searchable

Re-highlight the person and go to Edit > Delete > Person

#14 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:20 AM

What does the drag n drop do with regard to the linked tree at Ancestry.com?

#15 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 05:59 AM

What does the drag n drop do with regard to the linked tree at Ancestry.com?

If you drag and drop one RM database to a new one, the new one will be linked to the same tree at Ancestry.com.

This is a basic design feature of TreeShare and the Ancestry.com API. More than one desktop based database can be linked to the same tree at Ancestry.com. The multiple desktop based databases don't even all have to be RM. For example, you could also link FTM on the desktop to a tree at Ancestry.com that is already linked with RM.

In theory, this design sounds wonderful For example, it suggests a way that multiple users could collaborate using different RM systems that are linked to the same tree at Ancestry.com via TreeShare. There are two things wrong with this theory. The first thing is that RM's data model and Ancestry.com's data model are very different, and much data does not survive a round trip from RM to Ancestry.com and back to RM. The second thing is that TreeShare does not have an automatic sync feature. After the initial sync between RM and Ancestry.com via TreeShare, subsequent syncing operations are a very burdensome manual sharing, not a true sync.

The reverse direction doesn't work. One RM database cannot be linked to two different trees at Ancestry.com.

Jerry

#16 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1625 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:11 AM

I found over 200 of them in a gedcom that was originally an old version Family Tree Maker.  Most  of them had a spouse attached and I changed them to [spouse surname or]    to get rid of them. Took about 3 days of  8 hours a day to fix them for a client.  Why done? don't know.  the database was dated 2007.    Glad I am done with it.  Next time I THINK  I will just delete them.  Also had a gedcom from 2005 FTM, where the owner put the persons mothers maiden name in the Given name box  with a - and the actual surname in all Caps in the Surname box.  What a mess to clean up.  Also for a client.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#17 LarryD

LarryD

Advanced Member

• Members