• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thawkes

thawkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:44 AM

I was connected to the ancestry tree "thawkes" and I have made 99% of my rootsmagic tree and the ancestry tree the same using the treeshare tool and going one by one through all of my family tree.  Then for some reason I decided to disconnect from that ancestry tree, do some fresh downloading of the ancestry tree, run some comparisons under the files menu, and do some test uploads to ancestry to see what it looks like uploaded.  I've decided that the best thing is to go back to the way it was and have my rootsmagic file conntected to my ancestry.ca "thawkes" family tree.

But now I've discovered that I cant connect my rootmagic file back to "thawkes".  I have to either a.) download the ancestry.ca tree and use that one, or b.) upload my rootsmagic file to a different ancestry family tree "thawkes2".  Did I just screw my self up? Or is there a way to get this to work?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8206 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

File>Restore a backup made prior to disconnecting your RootsMagic database from the Ancestry tree. It will restore the connection to the tree. It will write over any database by the same name in the folder selected to restore into. So if you have made changes to the database since the backup was made be careful about that. You may want to restore into a different folder. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 thawkes

thawkes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:20 PM

Yes! You are exactly right.  I've restored a backup and I am back to where I was before I started messing around.  Thanks for the support Renee.