5 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

Microsoft’s latest shenanigans show increasing abilities to reduce users’ control over their own machines and increased tendencies to do just that — recent alarming article in Forbes Magazine is making me think of moving away from Windows if the trends continue. Has anyone successfully run RootsMagic in a virtual machine under Linux?

#2 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:03 PM

No, I've not run RM under Linux but I have been wondering if the 'rewrite' cpuld mean RM8 running under Linux? Might be a nice little USP :-)

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:30 PM

RootsMagic 8 will not have a Linux version on release. It's on the enhancement request list but I do not know if or when we will see a Linux version. The big issue with Linux support are the multiple flavors of Linux, we cannot write to them all. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 04:18 PM

RootsMagic 8 will not have a Linux version on release. It's on the enhancement request list but I do not know if or when we will see a Linux version. The big issue with Linux support are the multiple flavors of Linux, we cannot write to them all. 

I'm really not interested in running Linux on the desktop.  But my experience with Linux suggests that from the application side such as RM, the multiple flavors of Linux are probably not a big deal. Server side software is another thing entirely.

I do presently have a Linux server in my house - 16 processor cores, 64GB memory - but I have never run RM on it and I'm sure I never will. What I run on it are scientific research type C++ programs that I write and which require enormous amounts of resources. I develop on Windows with Visual Studio, and I run the resultant EXE files under Linux under Wine. For what I'm doing, it works great but I'll stick with my Windows desktop.

Jerry

#5 PaperStainer

PaperStainer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:50 AM

I am currently running RM7 on my Linux desktop using WINE. It works very well.

I can see no reason why running it in a Linux virtual machine would be an issue.

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:08 AM

Confession: I have not been able to get RM-to-go to run under the Linux/Wine combination, so I installed a copy of RM on my Linux laptop to use at libraries. I then use it to access the data files on my RM-to-go memory stick. It functions reasonably well for the tasks I need to accomplish at the library (e.g. data entry & edit, saving to-do lists, etc). I can't claim to have tested every feature but it does well enough for my limited needs. I've also run it on a Mac laptop the same way.

I agree that it would be nice were RM to support the combination of Linux & Wine.