• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 absea

absea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

Will TreeShare see any improvements in RM8? Anything approaching a full/complete 1-way (or ideally 2-way) sync?

(I just bought RM primarily for the Ancestry integration and I must have misunderstood thinking that TreeShare supported this full syncing. After experimenting and reading the forums I see that it's filled with caveats and most people resort to deleting their Ancestry tree and just re-sharing. Sigh. And yes, I imagine Ancestry isn't helping make this scenario any easier so not blaming RM... after all it's called TreeShare and not TreeSync).

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 04:08 PM

No one but the developers know what is in RM8 for TreeShare.

When TreeShare was first released, both the developers and some beta testers opined that TreeShare was better than TreeSync because it allowed the user control over the transmission of data between RM and ancestry to avoid data disasters that might accrue from a true TreeSync. Indeed, former FTM users have told stories of data disasters that were caused by problems with FTM's full blown syncing between FTM and ancestry.

I for one would love to see at least a full-blown one way TreeSync from RM to ancestry. I also will never sync or share anything from ancestry back to RM. Or if I did, I would only do it with a temporary RM database that I could examine carefully before moving the data from my temporary RM database to my permanent RM database.

There are many problems with the whole TreeShare concept. Some of them might be able to be improved upon by the RM developers. Other of the problems would be difficult to be improved upon. The reason for the difficulty is that RM and ancestry use very different data models. So both systems have data that the other system has no good way to store, and it's difficult to translate RM's family facts to and from the way ancestry handles marriages.

Jerry

#3 absea

absea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 03:14 AM

No one but the developers know what is in RM8 for TreeShare.

Thanks Jerry. Does the RM team not monitor these forums? Also, it's my understanding that RM8 is not too far away (and was possibly previewed a bit at the latest RootsTech). It seems reasonable they can let us know if it will be vastly better vs. just incremental changes.

And thanks for the insight on sync challenges in general. 

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:23 AM

Thanks Jerry. Does the RM team not monitor these forums? Also, it's my understanding that RM8 is not too far away (and was possibly previewed a bit at the latest RootsTech). It seems reasonable they can let us know if it will be vastly better vs. just incremental changes.

And thanks for the insight on sync challenges in general. 

The RM team does monitor these forums, but they are very, very busy right now with the RM8 development work. RM generally speaking announces products and features only when they are ready to ship. With something as big as RM8, there are usually some teasers - hence the very brief RootsTech demo. But the overarching RM approach is to wait until ready to ship to announce.

Jerry

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:05 AM

We have made no announcements on what is in RM8 other than it will be the native Mac version. The gift wrapping is still on and you have to be patient to see what is inside. It will be worth the wait. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:39 AM

The gift wrapping is still on ...

Christmas wrapping paper. Only question is which Christmas? I think it was supposed to be 2018.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:50 AM

Ah, but I didn't say Christmas.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6131 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

Yes, I surmised "gift wrapping" implied Christmas. If not, then what occasions warrant "gift wrapping", other than the great 'reveal'?

RootsMagic Inc's 32nd birthday will be in June.

RootsMagic 1.0.0.0 celebrated 16 years on Feb 4.

RootsMagic 4.0.0.0 will hit 10 years of age in 13 days

RootsMagic 7.0.0.0 will be 5 years old on Nov 25

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.