8 replies to this topic

#1 BonSam

BonSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:27 PM

Today, I signed onto RM on my Mac, clicked to open my files --- with 30 years of research on it. Message: 

"there is no Windows program configured to open this type of file." 

How do I fix this? Is there a way to fix this? 

I have my file, files of many other family branches and those of my clients...who I talked into buying RM. All gone. I certainly hope there is a remedy? 

#2 BonSam

BonSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 06:30 PM

Also, I tried "backups back to 2018s".... none worked

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1465 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:00 PM

Sounds like what you did is navigated to your database and clicked on it, expecting it to start RM and open the file.

Have you tried the opposite?

Use the Mac menu to open RM, the go to File > Open and navigate to your database, and open it.

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:44 PM

What zhabgrau said.  When the program shuts down on the Mac after the usual access to Family File links mess up (like all the time - grumble grumble), every once in a while I get the program and it has lost the link to the database file. I have it in my documents folder so I know instead fo going to "Y" drive", I can go to "C" drive and get it to come up again. I tend to see that the conversion engine has crapped up and I have to use the database tools after I get the database back. I have had to export my database twice now to GEDCOM and back in the last month to clear out the cruft and grunge that usually goes away when using RM7 under Microsfoft mode. 

Until RootsMagic gets version 8 (yes, I am holding my breath) for the Mac out, I have stopped recommending it to others. The bugginess is almost as bad in the PC mode under Windows 10 on the Mac as well, so don't fret.  I spend most of my time now in FamilySearch and use RM7 database as a base reference to start my day. I still move changes back and forth between RM7 and FamilySearch, but I pretty much have relegated RM7 to the back burner for now. And to think I used to bathe in RM7! 

#5 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 10:10 AM

I have never used the RM version for MAC but run RM under Parallels on my MAC without any problems.

#6 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 March 2019 - 12:03 PM

Do you have TimeMachine set up?

#7 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 08:38 AM

I highly doubt your files have been lost. Go to your Applications folder, scroll to RootsMagic, click on it. After it opens go to the  RootsMagic File-> Open in the RM panel and NOT the File -> Open on the menu bar. You will in all likelihood see your file under "open Recent'.

Then get an external drive and set up Time Machine.

#8 BonSam

BonSam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 09:17 AM

I highly doubt your files have been lost, said "Advanced Member

Are you on a MAC and using the RM program crossover version? I have used this for a few years now. I am experienced too. I continually have error messages, and frequent freezes. Just to double check my knowledge, Fellows, I had someone more tech than myself. Thankfully, we found the specific file after great digging. three years now...

I see a lot of comments related to keeping up with My Heritage, Legacy, etc and all their bells and whistles. For experienced, even professional genealogists, most of those bells are not used or of interest either. What good researchers need and want is a flexible database, well formatted reports, documentation tools, notes: person, place, family, events, etc including research notes and evaluations of evidence. And have confidence in the program's stability. Having to stop your research to reload the program and fix mess-ups resulting from RM or any program's instability. But, silly me, it boils down to the competitive market place. 

RM is over all a very good program, no question. I've talked many a client into buying it too. Interestingly, though, more and more are using, exclusively, Ancestry trees. When I teach genealogical fundamentals class, I find that many think Ancestry is software and all the trees are accurate! (these folks typically use no other program). But that said, many of our students who have advanced more in their skills and understanding of genealogy research do use various tools, software and want the features mentioned above. They also use templates and tools in word and excel to keep data and comparative tools not either available in software or need a tool more applicable to their research. 

#9 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:10 AM

Yes, I am on a Mac using the crossover version. Even running on Mojave. The instructions I gave you were from specific from my Mac on exactly how youd find your files. I would have posted screen shots but its a pain to post images to the forum.

Ill also note I use Treeshare, MyHeritage, etc, as well as several other genealogy programs on Mac and PC. Didnt just fall out of the tree yesterday. So maybe instead of complaining about advise you should follow it.