6 replies to this topic

#1 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:40 PM

As a long-time user of RM in its various iterations, a report I want to make has got me a little stumped.  I made an initial report but it's not quite what I want.

I want a report of people who are in an 1850 census, no matter the state.  I keep an Excel spreadsheet of people/families I've found so that when I find the information and don't enter it into RM right away, I have a record of who I still need to put in.  You know how it goes -- once you start looking for somebody on Ancestry/Family Search, etc., it's too easy to keep finding things and the "I'll enter the info later" rears its ugly head.  Arghhhh!

Here's what I need it to be:

Name (last name, first, etc.), RM record number, census date, census place.

Sounds easy enough, right?  The initial report has the census dates, places, but I only want it for 1850 and not every census they're in.

Any suggestions on setting up the custom report??  Thanks for your help.

Nikki

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8364 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:49 PM

Use the "Who Was There List" with the place United States.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:17 PM

RM really can't create this report. It can roughly approximate it, but it can't meet the request exactly. The thing that RM can't do is just to list out the 1850 census without listing all the other censuses for the person.

I solved this problem in my database years ago by making a separate census fact type in RM for each census year. So for example, I have a fact type called 1850 Census which curiously always has a date of 1850. I can make this fact type a column in People View or a column in a Custom report. Also, I can select on it as 1850 Census>Exists>is True for making a group or color coding or running a Custom report.

I hope that RM8 will address this weakness in RM.

Jerry

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:22 PM

Save your custom report to a text file. It's tab-delimited so it will open or import into Excel or other spreadsheet. Sort or filter on the date column for 1850.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:26 PM

I have done the same as Jerry, and now have 98 separate fact types starting at Census 1624 and going through Census 1956.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:55 PM

For batch conversion of Census facts to custom "Census yyyy" facts, see https://sqlitetoolsf...ensus-and-back/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 nikheff

nikheff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:32 PM

OMG!  You guys are *awesome*!!  Thank you so much for your suggestions and I'll be trying out all of them and see which one works the best.  You wouldn't think it would be rocket science but this just may be a case of "there's more than one way to skin a cat."