• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 casmcc

casmcc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:01 PM

I have done many, many gedcoms over the years from FTM to other FTM files and not other software companies.  But nowhere is there a "cause of death" fact in RM7.  Do I manually add the fact and the info into RM7 OR is the info buried somewhere that I can "release it"?

Why did it not transfer in the Gedcom?  

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:52 PM

RootsMagic uses the description field of the Death fact for the cause of death.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 01:54 PM

Years ago, I created a custom fact to store medical and/or cause of death info.

More recently, my habit is to store cause of death info in the Death fact Description.

I continue to use my custom Medical fact to store info that I generally don't want to print in reports, but want included in the mass of data collected. I implement that choice via the Fact Type List settings.

#4 casmcc

casmcc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 02:45 PM

Bottom line - I need to manually enter!!!

So.....

Backed up my file

I went into my FTM file

Added a new fact labeled "Death Cause"

In the "Cause of Death" fact options - I selected change selected fact to this fact type > to "Death Cause"

made a Gedcom

Opened Gedcom in RM7

Lo & behold - Death Cause is there

Then edited name back to Cause of death

It seemed to work.

As I go along I will put cause of death in "Death" description

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:17 PM

Was the original cause of death imported but not displayed because the Description field was disabled for the Death fact type in RM?

I don't think CoD is a standard GEDCOM fact so it should have been exported by FTM as a custom one; RM readily imports those that follow the GEDCOM specs for custom ones. Else it should have been exported with the DEAT tag in which case RM would import it into the Description field for Death.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 casmcc

casmcc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:21 PM

Redid what I had done earlier and "cause of Death" was, indeed, in the "description" of the death fact so description field was not disabled.  BUT it therefore overwrote what info I had written in that box.

Either way I NEED a separate fact for "Cause of Death" until I can edit. So will continue with scenario I had described earlier.

I am unsure whether it was a custom fact or not. 

I am just starting with this software and already missing some quirks from FTM.

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

I am just starting with this software and already missing some quirks from FTM.

RM is a strong piece of software with some weaknesses here and there. I have learned to make it meet my needs by developing workarounds for its weaknesses. I wish it didn't need as many workarounds as it does, but my experience with other genealogy software is that all of them have weaknesses of their own. So far, RM + workarounds is the solution that best meet my needs. Which is a long way to introduces this question: which are the quirks from FTM that you most miss in RM?

In some cases (and this is common), different genealogy software has very different solutions to the same basic underlying problem so you have to learn to do things a new way but there is a solution. But in other cases, you really do have to develop workarounds to certain weaknesses. So I am indeed curious how RM looks to a former FTM user.

Jerry

#8 casmcc

casmcc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:05 PM

Like that I can make a book for file that has over 5,000 people - FTM - seems that this size file is too large.  Still works with files with less people.

Not impressed with the "namefind" -  need to type the whole surname, in separate window, and not connected to index, while FTM the Index (of names) moves with each letter typed - therefore no need to type the whole surname, then scroll to name wanted.

I use the Index of names the most.  I would like it to be "in my face".  It is there, but scrolling isn't my cup of tea with 5,000 names.  

I realize that is not much, but I just started yesterday with this software and I must give it more of a chance.  Had used FTM for almost 20 years.  (Old dog - new tricks syndrome!)

#9 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:14 PM

Cause of death is not a GEDCOM fact. In GEDCOM we add the cause of the event as an attribute subordinate to the event. By this I mean just like place is an attribute subordinate to the event, cause is also subordinate.

The following attributes, aka tags, are structured or subordinate to all events and facts:
EVENT_DETAIL
TYPE <EVENT_OR_FACT_CLASSIFICATION>
DATE <DATE_VALUE>
<<PLACE_STRUCTURE>>
<<ADDRESS_STRUCTURE>>
AGNC <RESPONSIBLE_AGENCY>
RELI <RELIGIOUS_AFFILIATION>
CAUS <CAUSE_OF_EVENT>
RESN <RESTRICTION_NOTICE>
<<NOTE_STRUCTURE>>
<<SOURCE_CITATION>>
<<MULTIMEDIA_LINK>>

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6173 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 06:47 PM

In RM, select any name in an index and start typing. It auto jumps to the first match to the progressing string.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.