• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jdaj39417

Jdaj39417

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 02:47 PM

I'm trying to figure out how to do this and one user suggested a new fact type for number of children.  But the 1900 census has both number of children born to the couple and number of children living.  I want to record both those numbers.  Right now I have a number of children fact with a sentence that says [date], [couple] had [desc] children.  How do I add "with __ children living"?  Somewhere in the back of my mind I thought you could put two different things in the description and tell it to pull the first one in for the first time desc appears in the sentence and pull in the second thing the second time the sentence has desc in it.  Maybe I am remembering TMG?  Any ideas?

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1520 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:18 PM

Yes, I think you're thinking of TMG's Memo feature. RM can't do that.

I report this info in a Note for the Marriage fact (which may be a bit trickier to search, if needed).

Here's an example of one of my Notes:

In the 1900 census, Joseph and Arthemise are listed as married for 16 years; Arthemise was the mother of 11 children, 7 living in 1900.  Listed as married 25 years at time of census in 1910.  In the 1930 census, Joseph is listed as age 24, Arthemise as age 16, at the time of marriage.  The marriage date is not listed in the Répertoire des Mariages de la Paroisse Sainte-Geneviève de Batiscan, comté Champlain, 1727-1900.  Listed in the DGFG as having 3 children born at Ste-Geneviève de Batiscan between 1885-1891.

I've been told that my Notes are awkward to read, but their goal is to document facts, and I'm happy enough with my results. This example packs in a lot of related, and relevant, info into one place in the narrative report.

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 03:28 PM

I transcribe all census entries into the fact note for the census fact, so the data in question is always there somewhere in a census note.

For the head of household, I transcribe the entire census entry. For each other individual in the household, I transcribe just their census line plus a reference to who was the head of household. So for each woman for whom this data is available, it is available in their own census fact and also in the census fact for their respective head of household. Sometimes the woman in question IS the head of household, in which case the information is not duplicated. In all other cases, the information is obviously listed twice, once for the woman and once for the head of household.

The information is not always accurate. For example, I have seen cases where a child born just before the official census date was correctly not enumerated, but the woman's count of children did include the child who was born just before the official census date. The information can also be intriguing because it sometimes indicates the existence of mystery children of whom I have no other record, neither living nor deceased.

Jerry

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1654 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 10:51 PM

I've activate  the description ot the fact and add to the census fact, so it shows in the sentence and list the age of person, and birth place and children born and living.  I also add the information in the Text of the Citation. So it shows in the footnotes also. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:14 AM

I have one fact named Research Note where I would note such things in the description and date the entry as the census date.

As regards the non surviving children revealed by such census entries I enter them as individuals with a death date Bef Census Date, it's factual and a constant reminder to me their births have still to be discovered. I leave the forename of such entries blank but it could be TBD or something else which suits the user if that is their preference, however with the sex on these non surviving children generally not known one can also report them by searching for Sex Is Unknown and they will show up in the Problem List.

Since records indicate they did exist my preference is to have them in the database rather than just a varying non standard Note or Description entry.

As always, user preference but the overriding need is always having the ability to collate such information easily.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 08:19 AM

As regards the non surviving children revealed by such census entries I enter them as individuals with a death date Bef Census Date

I have considered this sort of approach, and it's probably better than mine. What has held me back is the concern that the non-surviving children never actually existed and that the census data is simply in error in that regard. That's because the census data in general can contain lots of errors, and I have found what appears to be obvious errors in the "number of children" data in the 1900 U.S.A. census. Indeed, all genealogical can contain uncertainties and can therefore be difficult to deal with. Just because there is a written contemporaneous document does not mean that the information is correct.

Jerry

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3432 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:06 AM

Just because there is a written contemporaneous document does not mean that the information is correct.

Agree completely and I have a few I have never found, despite best efforts.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root