4 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:33 PM

I was playing with TreeShare again, using the Only Show Changed People option. I found a person who had many differences between RM and ancestry as compared to when the person was first uploaded to ancestry. I marked one of those differences for upload and ran the upload. The person dropped off the list of people who had changes, even though I only uploaded one of the many changes for the person. Is that the way it's supposed to work? The person is still very different between RM and ancestry.

Jerry

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6174 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:54 AM

It's "working as designed". Note that the term is "Changed people" as opposed to "people having differences" and seems to relate to something like "date last edited" vs "date last updated" at the persin level, not the fact et al.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Pilgers

Pilgers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 11:23 AM

Do you have the 'Remove from "changed" list after accepting changes' box unticked? (File Options / Ancestry)

In theory if you tick that then the person remains on the 'Only show changed people' list so you can check if there are other changes.   The exceptions to that seems to be people who you add as children or parents of the 'changed' person.  Thus, if I add a mother and/or father of someone whilst amending the person, some of their details are not passed over and the parents disappear from the "changed" list. I then untick the 'Only show changed people' box and find the parents to complete their marriage details. I try not to add several generations of a family at one time as I can easily forget to do that.

There doesn't seem to be any easy way of finding the people with details on RootsMagic that are different from Ancestry once you have gone through the TreeShare process. I don't just use Ancestry for data but I tend to add items to my Ancestry tree and then use TreeShare to add it to RM.  It almost makes more sense for me to download a new tree from Ancestry via TreeShare every so often rather than periodically updating RM.

I like having a backup of my tree and I use RM for creating many reports so I wouldn't want to take RootsMagic out of the equation.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8368 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 11:37 AM

Under Tools>File Options>Ancestry if you have "Remove from 'changed' list after accepting changes." It will remove the person from the changed list once you click on "Accept changes".  The option is to either mark all changes you need before clicking "Accept changes", which clears them from the list, or turn off the setting in the File Options so they remain. Then you need to manually click the button to remove them from the changed list when done.  

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 01:38 PM

The option is to either mark all changes you need before clicking "Accept changes", which clears them from the list, or turn off the setting in the File Options so they remain.

We need Secret Option #3, where the person stays in the list until all his or her changes have been propagated.  :)

Jerry