Jump to content


Photo

RootsMagic7 - new database - odd behavior and crash


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maryfowlerleek

maryfowlerleek

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:52 AM

I moved my Legacy database to RootsMagic 7 by creating a basic GEDCOM, containing only vitals, and imported into a new database in RootsMagic 7. I did some color coding of direct lines, looked at a couple of reports, and changed the font for the report. I can't remember if I was actually previewing the report or had closed it but RootsMagic just became blank and then closed on it's own. Now it doesn't show me the recently created database when I open the program. I can find the database using windows explorer:

 

Basic GEDCOM fr Legacy 2-23-2019.rmgc

 

but RootsMagic won't open this file. It doesn't even display it as a database file from within RootsMagic.

 

Just thought I'd mention this as I don't know what might have triggered the behavior nor why the database won't re open in RootsMagic. The GEDCOM imported and database created as I expected. I moved about in this new database, trying the options mentioned above; color coding of direct lines and change of report fonts. New Font choice was Calibri 11 pt., a font I use a lot in word processing and genealogy reports of various genealogy programs.

 

I have other, more full content RootsMagic databases I've created using recent Legacy database GEDCOMs, with no problems experienced, so don't think it is a problem with the GEDCOM creation. The only thing I haven't done is to shut down my computer and restart. Will report back if this makes a difference and allows me to re open this database file.

 

I am using windows 7Pro, plenty of free disk space, etc.

 

Mary



#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 01:49 PM

Mary, you don't mention doing this, so let me ask: Did you do a Backup to an *rmgb file in RM right after importing the GEDCOM?



#3 maryfowlerleek

maryfowlerleek

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:48 PM

No, I did not. I don't use RM as my primary genealogy program so it isn't something I do with the RM database files.

 

However, I am happy to report that with a restart of the computer, I was able to open the newly created RM database in RM. The few changes I had made were in place and the database appears to be fine. So, whatever the glitch was that caused RM to shut down abruptly and unable to open the newly created database, restarting the computer cleared it.

 

Thank you for your interest and comment.

 

Mary



#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:33 PM

That's good to hear, and an indication of how "robust" the underlying SQL database is. In spite of some (currently unknown, but serious) glitch, the database kept your data secure. Cool.