• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rini

Rini

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 10:53 AM

Edit: Well, nevermind... I took out the first instance of "Casual" in the [Son,Daughter:Casual] tag and it is working... for now. I've had this type of problem before without the Casual, but now I'll need to find a new test case. :)

This is my first attempt to get fancy with the sentence templates, and it's not quite working for me. I hope you can help me figure out why.

I'm trying to use this feature:

[Field 1,Field 2,...]
1 or more person
Any number of person fields may be combined into a single group by writing all the field names within square brackets, separated by commas. For example, to get all the groomsmen and bridesmaids, type [Groomsman,Bridesmaid].

I want to make my Census event a bit more flexible for different family configurations. So I have created several roles, and I have this for the sentence template on the Primary role:
[couple] appeared in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]><, in the home of [HomeOwner]><, with their <#Son,Daughter#child|children> [Son:Casual,Daughter:Casual]><, along with [Witness,Parent,Sibling,In-Law]>.

But then my test family has these shared people:
James Rice Meriwether, In-Law
Alpheous Annabel Redd, Daughter
Gilbert C Redd, Son
Louise Elizabeth Redd, Daughter

And I get this narrative sentence:
Adelaide Isabela Garner and Theodore Washington Redd appeared in the census on 15 Apr 1910 in Sarasota, Manatee, Florida, United States, with their children Gilbert, along with James Rice Meriwether.

This is almost right... but why am I only getting the Son and not the Daughters listed? I correctly get "children" but not the girls' names.

Edit again:

Here we go. This test family has only two Daughters.

Lela Mae Redd, Daughter

Mildred L Redd, Daughter

The template sentence is:

[couple] appeared in the census< [Date]>< [PlaceDetails]>< [Place]><, in the home of [HomeOwner]><, with their <#Son,Daughter#child|children> [Son,Daughter:Casual]><, along with [Witness,Parent,Sibling,In-Law]>.

But our narrative reads:

Edward Wyntoun Redd and Ruby Cornelius Howell appeared in the census on 15 Apr 1940 at Main Street in Sarasota, Manatee, Florida, United States.

No mention of the girls at all, and if I take it out of the <> brackets, then I get an empty ", with their " clause.