5 replies to this topic

#1 pkm

pkm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

Just trying to find out if there is a Size LIMIT (X pixels by Y pixels) like 640 x 480 pixels, for each of the media files (jpg) for RM 7 to be able to handle and show them? Tried to look it up in some of the Guides but didn't find any. I sure would appreciate your help. I am on a Windows 10 system running RM 7.

#2 cj1260

cj1260

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:14 PM

As far as I know, there is no size limit.

RM just stores a pointer to the actual file. The picture that is displayed within the program itself is only a thumbnail version of the original file. I regularly link photos that are 4,000 by 4,000 pixels.

#3 pkm

pkm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:37 PM

As far as I know, there is no size limit.

RM just stores a pointer to the actual file. The picture that is displayed within the program itself is only a thumbnail version of the original file. I regularly link photos that are 4,000 by 4,000 pixels.

I also have my RM Media in 2 or 3 folders. So, I can just point the Media files to those locations? Correct? And, Does it create its own thumbnails? 

Thank you.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

You point RM to each media file individually, no matter where it is - one folder or dozens of folders or hundreds of folders. After a file has been linked into RM, RM then knows where it is and the default folder has no effect at all on RM finding the file.

RM includes an option for a default location for media files, but the option may not quite do what you expect. For example, you might ask how you could have each or your 2 or 3 media folders be the default. You can't, but in practice it doesn't really matter. When are linking media files into RM, the default folder is just the one that RM opens first. While in the open dialog, you then navigate to wherever the file really is. If you are linking a lot of them in a single session, RM will return to the most recent folder first, not to the default folder first.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

RM creates its own thumbnails and they are stored in the database, not as individual files.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1521 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 10:20 PM

When creating Publisher Scrapbooks with around 300 images, I have found there appears to an upper size.

I found this out because some images weren't showing up in the generated Scrapbook.

I now routinely watch for this problem, and if a particular image isn't showing in the Scrapbook, I make a reduced-size copy with a maximum dimension of 5,000 pixels (either width or height). Then the image shows properly in the Scrapbook.

So is the issue due to a single large image? Or to some overall "complexity" factor in generating the Scrapbook?

I don't know, I only share my experience....