4 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:53 AM

I'm guessing there is an explanation for this, but I'm not quite understanding it, so could someone help with this one please.

I have '15th great grandparents' on my database, showing as such bottom left, their children show as 14th great grand aunt/uncle except one son who shows the same as his parents, 15th great grandfather, I'm a bit flummoxed on this one, I've checked everyone is in the right place and as far as I can see they are (though I guess someone may tell me otherwise LOL)  so either which way I'm not making sense of it, can anyone enlighten me please?     Jacrista ♥

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8296 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:34 PM

I would assume the child that is also your 15th great grandfather is the line you're going through. Your probably related multiple ways to the person. Use the Relationship Calculator to see how many ways you are related. The relationship that is used in Set Relationships is the first one calculated. Not necessarily the closest relationship. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:46 AM

Thank you for your reply Renee.

In the 'Relationship Calculator'  (1) He is '15th great grandfather'  (same as is his father)  (2) He is '14th great granduncle' (as are his siblings)

But unfortunately the 'penny's still not dropped' as to how he can be both, I'm not quite grasping it somehow. Jacrista ♥

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3369 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

This indicates some sort of cousin marriage in your ancestry such that you are descended from two different descendants of the same 15th great grandfather. In one of the lines.

Jerry

#5 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 07:35 AM

I'm looking into that now Jerry, thanks.