• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ThirtyOhSix

ThirtyOhSix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 05:23 PM

Can RM be configured to only push updates to ancestry. In short, I only want to push my updates. I dont want any ancestry.com Gremlens sneaking into my tree:(

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8375 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 06:06 PM

Make your tree private when you upload to Ancestry. If you don't work on the tree online it won't have anything to update from Ancestry. You don't need to use WebHints if you don't want to. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:04 PM

There is no specific locking mechanism in TreeShare. But indeed, don't work on the tree online and don't give anybody else privileges to do so. Also, never sync from ancestry to RM by accident. That should take care of it. However, see the next paragraph.

I suspect you are worried about syncing from ancestry to RM by accident. Contrary to intuition, TreeShare will sometimes identify differences between RM and ancestry, even though you just synced from RM to ancestry. That's because of data model differences between the two systems. Therefore, there are situations where RM data cannot be transferred to ancestry without being changed in some way. The two sides then look different to TreeShare even immediately after a sync, and a return trip of the data from ancestry to RM can indeed change your data in RM from what it originally was. So I think a locking mechanism could be useful to protect you from this sort of gremlin.

In general, I think TreeShare is safe only if it is used in one direction - it matters not which direction. You have to do all your data input only on one side of the interface and only sync in one direction to be safe.

It does not hurt to make the tree public if you are otherwise willing to do so. Other people just looking at the tree online will not cause it to be modified.

Jerry