• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 karenlgoddard

karenlgoddard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:22 PM

I have a rather large family tree on Family Search.  I have been diligently trying to get my information from family search uploaded to Roots magic.  so I have a safe copy of my own files and family.  I had previously had it on PAF,  but have added a good amount just to family search/Family tree.  I am getting frustrated with people changing my info, want my own copy.  As I try to upload, the first time I got to somewhere around 6,000 people and it froze, I have been able to get about 50,000 people after 7 days and then it freezes.  I have tried just doing my first 5 or 6 generations and going off of that, still freezing!  WHen I do that though, I want to make sure I am getting all of the lines I have found, so If I go back 6 generations then try to upload more, to get cousins and things, without a ton of duplication?

This program is not as intuitive or user friendly as I thought it would be.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3569 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 09:27 PM

You are probably going to need to download in smaller batches. (Download usually refers to transferring data from the Internet to RM and upload usually refers to transferring data from RM to the Internet).

I haven't played with this particular RM facility in a long time. I think there are issues where you have to transfer sources one person at a time (or even one source at a time) even though basic name, birth, marriage, and death data will transfer more automatically. I'm sure there are many knowledgeable users who are familiar with transferring sources between RM and FamilySearch who can comment further on this issue.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Smaller batches are the key. If your internet or FamilySearch flickers on or off the connect is dropped and won't resume. Always download into a new blank database so you can determine which data to keep and not cause more duplicates. Drag n drop into your main database the smaller databases. 

Renee
RootsMagic