• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 KathleenL

KathleenL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 09:40 PM

When I left TMG, I narrowed my choices down to Legacy and RM.  I chose RM because of the ability to create custom source templates.  That said, I'm concerned about RM going 4 years without an new version. I would hate to be in the same position with RM that I was with TMG.

#22 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

• (…) but most importantly for me, edit a person directly from that chart
  • Family Historian facilitates the addition of many more events on their version of People View including Family events which are currently missing in Rootsmagic.

I need to make a productive choice for the future of my research and I do hope it will be Rootsmagic 8

How do you synchronise your RM and FH databases then? 

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#23 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:10 AM

How do you synchronise your RM and FH databases then? 

The short answer is I don't and I believe it's pointless trying to keep any two different genealogy apps in true sync, they may all strive to speak the same language but in considerably different dialects.

I have been a loyal Formalsoft customer since around the mid-90s and whilst data entry is slower in Rootsmagic I will continue to enter data and link media to there for now. What I have done is utilize Family Historian to geocode the majority of Place Details, a process which is painful to say the least in RM. For the remainder of this year or at least until I see what RM8 has to offer I will use Family Historian as a side program to help identify links through the superior filtering, charting and mapping of events.

On the FH data view (people view equivalent) I can enter a partial Surname or Given name and see the results immediately, no creating Named Groups and needing to refresh them as data changes. I can also restrict the date by time frame to further filter the results. One limitation of Rootsmagic People View apart from the lack of Family Events is the inability to show more that one event like Census, on the Family Historian data view simply clicking the right arrow key will expand any row to show all individual events for that individual.

I find the visual charting very indicative, similar to an Ancestry view and far superior to Rootsmagics present pedigree view and all individuals and relatives can be included rather than just direct.

For finding geographic groupings of events or communities I can create a marker set by Name or other criteria and restrict by time frame and see only those markers on the live map view. So if I wanted to see a geographic displacement of every one of a certain Surname whose occupation as a Carpenter in my database this would place them on the map and I can zoom and move to edit any one directly.

If one has a small database these features may not be so appealing but in a larger database effective data mining tools are a necessity and personally I find RM lacking in comparison to FH. To use the analogy of a jig-saw puzzle a 100 or 1000 piece puzzle would not be terribly challenging but tipping out a 100,000 piece onto the floor a lot of grouping pieces by content is going to be necessary before any assembly. In genealogy terms we are dealing with Names, Timeframes and Locations rather than edges, corners and colours and making those possible associative groupings is where FH is helping me most.

I still remain hopeful Rootsmagic does become that powerful research tool but I won't continue to ride the slow bus when I have a goal I am in a hurry achieve.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#24 andyho

andyho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:51 PM

Version 10 of Legacy Family Tree was supposed to be released in 2018, but it did not happen. I suspect now that it will never happen. If it does happen, it may be a V10 wrapper with minimal changes under the hood. For additional insight, read the post by Tamura Jones. https://www.tamurajo...Milennnia.xhtml. In my opinion, Rootsmagic is definitely the better option.

#25 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:34 AM

Version 10 of Legacy Family Tree was supposed to be released in 2018, but it did not happen. I suspect now that it will never happen. If it does happen, it may be a V10 wrapper with minimal changes under the hood. For additional insight, read the post by Tamura Jones. https://www.tamurajo...Milennnia.xhtml. In my opinion, Rootsmagic is definitely the better option.

I don't strive to keep up with genealogy news but that article is certainly an interesting read and looks like a retirement plan for anyone in the business :D

Really for anyone who has been using desktop software for some years there is nothing new and we must hope the Rootsmagic 're-write' holds new promise as most software from the 90's has evolved in a bolt on fashion until the core creaks under the pressure. The move from notebook to computer back in the 90's was a big step but online offerings have pushed the envelope ever further to threaten desktop software offerings, why?, because there is big money to be made from subscription repository systems and that will continue, users will complain about any increase to the cost of Rootsmagic but happily pay the same monthly for thos subscription services.

The following snippet from the article sums up the challenge for Rootsmagic and anyone else still in the ring in my opinion.

"and Legacy Family Tree suffers the same major problem as The Master Genealogist (TMG) does; it is 90s software that, despite the many features that have been tacked on over the years, just cannot compete with a modern product"

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root