• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ed Pring

Ed Pring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 02:14 PM

When I find data (census, death, birth, etc.) information on Ancestry and I save it, it appears in a Media folder on my computer in the RootsMagic folder.  Works great...my question is - can I control where that folder is placed on my computer?

Elder Geek

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:29 PM

No, the media folder that Ancestry works with has to be the same name as the database_media and in a subfolder to where the database is. If you moved the database location then it would recreate a new one, or you move the media folder there and use the Fix broken media link tool. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Ed Pring

Ed Pring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Renne,

Thanks...that is what I thought, but I hoped I could change it.  I understand what I am doing now, but before that, I would rename the files to a name that meant something.  Then, of course, I got a broken link.  Then I would delete the broken link, bring the named record back into the person's media file.  Very dumb move.  For reasons I will not go into, I change the name of the tree in Ancestry.  Another very dumb move.  I quit changing the file names, but now get broken links because RM is putting the new files in the new media folder it created and RM is looking in the old folder for the new data.  I will have to struggle through with two media folders.  If I point RM to one, I get broken links and if I point RM to the other media folder - I get broken links.  I know of nothing to do - however, if you have a better solution...?

Thanks again for the quick response.

Ed

Elder Geek

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8490 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

You can rename your Ancestry tree online with no issue. In RM if you rename just make sure to rename the media folder to match. Then a new one is not created. If you want to rename your media do it while inside RM. Go to Lists>Media Gallery>highlight the image and click on Properties>Change media file and then you can rename the media file and it will link to it afterwards without breaking the link. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3606 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

Some RM users love the relative ease of getting media files from RM into ancestry using the tools provided by the two vendors. And some RM users dislike the meaningless file names of such media files and the fixed location of the folder (and there are no sub-folders).

At some point you just have to decide between ease of use issues and your like or dislike of the way it works. My personal choice is to bring ancestry's media files into RM manually so that I can name them the way that I want and so that I can store them in a sub-folder structure of my choice. So I have made a choice that these issues are more important to me than is ease of use. It's entirely rational to make the opposite choice. But make a choice you must.

Jerry

#6 Ed Pring

Ed Pring

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 06:29 PM

Jerry,

I agree...have to make a choice.  Today...may change tomorrow, I am bringing them in automatically from RM.  The file names are meaningless, but after some thought, I came to the conclusion...so what.  They are linked to the right person in my tree and I can name them individually once they are in the media folder with the [Properties] button.  If I ever want to get that piece of data and send it to someone or use it myself, in the media page to the right is a path to the file and the 'meaningless' file name.  I copy the 'meaningless' file name from the media page, open the media folder and paste the name in search.  Quick and easy.... 

The only other way - other than manually - is for RM to ask me for a file name just before they download it into the media folder.  That way, the name is usable in the media folder and in the media page.

Thanks for the suggestions...

Ed

Elder Geek