7 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:26 PM

Most pictures I have no issue linking to the appropriate people. A few I do have the following issue when attempting to link to RM: I get an image of tiny gray & light green squares, instead of image of the picture, at the point when I try to link in RM. Tied to include a copy her but will not allow me to either paste nor could I seem to link it to this posting. When I check my file of pictures, the image is there just fine. It's a .jpg file. Any ideas or suggestions as to the cause &/or correction of this issue? Thanks so much!

--Susan

Macbook

Mojave

RM7

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

Are you making sure to add it with the Media Type: Image?  It should then show a thumbnail. With the other Media Type options it will show an icon for the default program that will open it. If you edit the MediaTag and see no option to include it in a scrapbook then you know it was added with the wrong Media Type. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

Maybe it is a jpg format that the RM thumbnail converter does not fully support.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:01 AM

Renee Zamora: I know how to add media items to RM, as I said in my original post, I do not have the same issue with most media items (pictures) I add to RM. I just have the issue with a very few, just not sure why I have the posted issue with the few pictures I have tried to link, they are all .jpg format.

Tom H: I have link many .jpg media items to RM, it does support .jpg format so that can not be the issue.

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:06 AM

It's like Animal Farm: some jpgs are more equal than others. Try loading your recalcitrant jpg into an editor (perhaps Paint or Photoshop Elements) and save it out as a .jpg Try the saved file in RootsMagic. As Tom H suggested, .jpg files can be internally organized in several different ways.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 11:07 AM

RM Supports .jpg but not JPG2000 images. That is what Tom was having you check. Save it in a Photo Editor as a .jpg and see if that fixes it. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:05 PM

Ah! Sorry, I don't have any jpg2000 on my computer. It's a plain .jpg but just to be absolutely sure I wasn't mistaken, I exported the picture and carefully selected .jpg it still doesn't show a thumbnail of the pic, just the green & gray boxes. Although outside of RM I can see & open the picture. It's strange that it is only certain pictures, could there be anything else I should look for in the inspector or elsewhere that might give us an idea as to why this is an issue? BTW, I was able at one time to link the pic to RM but all of a sudden it shows up in the media file of RM with a red "x", so tried to relink it and that is when the issue was noted.

#8 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 01:09 PM

Ha! I think I figured it out! I was just looking at every aspect I could think of for this picture and noted I had included the nickname in quotes in the picture name. Removed the quotation marks and then it easily linked! Thank you all so much for taking the time to try to help me! :-)