• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JMK

JMK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:03 PM

I am thinking about switching from The Master Genealogist to RootsMagic, and have been playing with a test database that I imported to RootsMagic from TMG.  Does anyone know if the direct import tool does anything with the various flags that exist in TMG?  (For example, flags answering the questions:  Is the person a twin (or triplet), is he adopted, what was his birth order, how many generations is he from the starting person in the data base, etc.)

I see that RootsMagic has a Living flag, but I have not seen any others. 

It seems clear that RootsMagic has not created additional flags to match those in my TMG database.  Does this mean that all of the information contained in those flags has not been lost (as far as RootsMagis is concerned), or has it been retained as something other than a flag?  If so, how can I access it?

If TMG flag information is not retained in the import process, does anyone know of a work-around that would allow this information to be imported into RootsMagic.  For example, might it be possible to convert the flags into a facts before the import process and import the information that way?

#2 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 03:11 PM

Other than Living and Sex, RootsMagic doesn't have flags like TMG so no flag data is imported. I'm not aware of any way to convert the TMG flag data into some other form before import.

RootsMagic has groups so I use those like I used flags in TMG. For example. all individuals to export to GedSite are in a group. I would have done that with a flag in TMG. The group selection tools are much less capable than the flag or focus group selection tools in TMG.

#3 JMK

JMK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2019 - 06:33 PM

Jim,

Thank you for your helpful, albeit discouraging, response.  The thought of trying to reenter into RootsMagic all of the information I have in my TMG flags is quite daunting.

#4 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

JMK, I'm a former TMG-er, and evaluated all available software before settling on RM a few years back.  While it doesn't have some of my favorite TMG features (especially surety levels), these particular aspects made it my choice:

-- future development.  Not happening in TMG, happening solidly in RM, even though many highly desired features are not yet present.  We're all waiting eagerly for RM8.

-- open database.  SQL in RM vs. FoxPro in TMG.  You can directly manipulate your data if you can use SQL, and the database is not closed.  Perhaps there's a way to create custom facts to replace TMG flags and insert them with SQL.

-- this amazingly helpful forum.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."