Photo

Creating Sources for privately held documents

Source templates RootsMagic7 Source Type Source Creation Privately Held Documents FamilySearch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Barbwyred

Barbwyred

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:04 PM

First I would like to say I have been researching my family for over 20 years. But my source creating skills are less than remedial. So I usually use existing sources from online records. I also recently changed from FTM software to RootsMagic.

But I have 2 big binders full of documents like death, marriage, birth and graduation certificates as well as pictures of heirlooms I own from family members and pictures of gravesites. Theres also letters from and to family members, emails from ancestry members and funeral cards. Its a lifetime of records all consolidated in 2 big binders. I would like to use these documents as a source. Ive tried in the past to create a source for the binders but they are always incorrect.

Would I use the template for Family Records, non-bible(privately held) ? Or Artifact, Family, privately held(by collection)? Or do I create individual sources for each category of documents found in the binders? Meaning one source for the birth certificates, another for letters, another for diplomas and so on? For all the different types of records I own?
I try to attach sources to any record I enter in my family tree and especially if Im sharing it with the FamilySearch website. So I want to get the source info correct. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks so much for your time and patience.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:27 PM

We have a couple of webinars that will go over sources and creating your own source. You can always copy a current source template and edit it, so the fields appear in the Master Source or Source Detail area.  

31. New Source and Citation Features in RootsMagic 5
48. Sentence and Source Templates in RootsMagic

00:34:04 - Source Templates
http://www.rootsmagic.com/webinars/

Renee
RootsMagic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Source templates, RootsMagic7, Source Type, Source Creation, Privately Held Documents, FamilySearch