4 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:31 AM

I'm interested in learning the extent with which media files attached to your RootsMagic database have become duplicated over successive migrations of data between databases, TreeShare downloads and updates, WebHints acceptance, etc. It's my expectation that a database that has undergone many updates from an Ancestry Tree via TreeShare is liable to have a larger proportion of duplicate media files than one that has just been downloaded.

Please respond to this post or its sibling on Facebook with your observations of what CCleaner says about your database's media collection.  

The key settings for evaluating one or more folders and sub-folders for any or selected file types are shown in this screenshot.

CCleaner-Dup-Files-Settings.png

DO NOT TICK THE BOXES "NAME" AND "MODIFIED DATE". DO SET THE PATHS TO INCLUDE TO YOUR OWN DATABASE' MEDIA FOLDER.

Other than your subjective reaction, these numbers are of interest:

1. From RM's File >Database Properties, the number of items in its Media Gallery.
  2. From CCleaner's analysis, the ballpark number of duplicate files in your database's media folder.

Thanks!

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:29 PM

The only responses to this post were on facebook, ranging from 10-25% of media estimated to be duplicates. Out of my own direct experience with the proliferation of duplicate media from many TreeShare updates grew this new set of scripts and procedures that tackles media multiplication: https://sqlitetoolsf...dia-duplicates/

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 jrueger

jrueger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 11:54 AM

RM says 6525 files in the Media folder and CCleaner says 2,174 are duplicates.  All of these would be from TreeShare since I haven't done any other database work such as restores or extensive manual addition of media files.

I have used your SQLite tools for media duplication but don't understand two key sections:

1. the flag for TreeShare is reset (as expected) and now shows "new" sources for every person affected - should I accept these new sources or do nothing.  That is not clear to me from your notes.

2. the exact steps to follow to delete the duplicates is not clear. The instructions as comments in the .sql file seem to be vague as to exactly what commands should be executed - perhaps that is because I don't understand the SQLite commands that well.  Something needs to be executed at the Windows command line but the commands in the sql file are not Windows or DOS commands - that is the part that is confusing to me.  How exactly do I identify the files that can now be deleted?

Thanks for your tools and help.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6250 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:33 AM

I have used your SQLite tools for media duplication but don't understand two key sections:

I've responded to your questions in a comment on the SQLite post.

Sorry for the 3-day response - have been busy on choir stuff.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3407 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:09 PM

Various,

duplication.PNG

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root