21 replies to this topic

#21 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3593 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:21 PM

I saw this post and IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread.

https://www.geneamus...e-maker-is.html

It seems the guys that took over the FTM project have a vision for what I am looking for, and it seems to be what Wayne would be happy about as well. Online storage and sync of your family tree - like the Dropbox concept, or the way Zotero works. Update the data whenever and wherever you are, using whatever tool you have to hand, and that data is synced with your other devices.

I do hope that the rest of the genealogy software vendors catch on to this idea.

I spoke early in this thread in opposition to cloud based genealogy. This new FTM feature does not look to me like cloud based genealogy. Rather, it looks like desktop based genealogy with a Dropbox concept for syncing between desktops (and between mobile devices). I think I could be very supportive of and would make heavy use of an RM feature that functioned along these lines. I would still worry about the security of the data - among other things, would it be encrypted - and how robust would be the syncing if I used multiple machines in close succession. And I would really worry about the syncing of the data if the feature were intended for two different people to work on the same database at the same time. But the way I read the FTM article, the concept looks very good.

Jerry

#22 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 03:00 AM

I saw this post and IMMEDIATELY thought of this thread.

https://www.geneamus...e-maker-is.html

It seems the guys that took over the FTM project have a vision for what I am looking for, and it seems to be what Wayne would be happy about as well. Online storage and sync of your family tree - like the Dropbox concept, or the way Zotero works. Update the data whenever and wherever you are, using whatever tool you have to hand, and that data is synced with your other devices.

I do hope that the rest of the genealogy software vendors catch on to this idea.

I have just had a quick read to the post linked above and it sounds like a nice feature, assuming it works well! I can imagine it would work particularly well for those who regularly access their tree from multiple computers without the need for something like 'to go' versions of software. Of course security and integrity of the data would be important (as Jerry suggests). Perhaps it would allow researchers like Wayne work the way they prefer but also leave the desktop application for those of us that prefer it. Will be interested to see how it develops :-)