• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 stst415

stst415

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 09:46 AM

My RootsMagic database has information in some fields that are left over from when Personal Ancestral File added them back in the 1990s.

Specifically, I want to get rid of Ref # (Reference No) and AFN (Ancestral File Number) since I just don't need them nor want to see them anymore.

CLICK HERE TO SEE AN EXAMPLE,
https://rata.la/2GmK...TSMAGIC-EXAMPLE

Unfortunately, trying to DELETE those facts gets the error message: Built-in fact types can't be deleted.

Okay, fine, then how instead can I clear out ALL of them?

The Ref # shows up in hundreds of people and AFN shows up in thousands, so I don't want to do it one-by-one.

What's an easy way of removing all of that data?

Thank you,
Scott Trimble
Los Angeles, California

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6109 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:07 PM

An easy way that risks losing more than you want is to set the two fact types to be excluded (not included) in GEDCOM. Then drag'n'drop everyone to a new database. See https://sqlitetoolsf...ransfer-losses/

SQLite could be used to mass delete all instances of each fact with no collateral losses.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:56 PM

Double click on the Person in question > it will open Edit Person page > select the FACT then select the red x Delete fact button > gone.

Must be done Individually for each occurrence.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rootsmagic, facts, fact types, afn, ref #, reference no, ancestral file number