No replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3371 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:33 AM

I think I’m all wished out but I don’t remember adding this to the long list of enhancement requests.

As I progress in my use of Duplicate Search Merge I widen the parameters firstly by unclicking the Compare Birth and Death Places, then increasing the year span and maybe using Soundex. Currently session to session I need to remember the last parameters I used and it would be very useful if this could be remembered by Rootsmagic so it helps and grows with my preferences, I don’t believe I have put this suggestion forward before. This could be easily restored by adding a ‘Return to default’ button.

This very useful Routine could also benefit from the incorporation of a Duplicate Facts find option where the user specifies a year span. For example specifying Zero would find a record which has a Census record dated 1901 and a duplicate fact dated 31 Mar 1901 for user resolution. This has become a much wished for feature on various forums maybe exacerbated by online interaction.

What has been put forward and cited many times before is the current danger of merging and leaving this routine without tidying up the merged individual resulting in residual duplication in the database. I would suggest, at least an option checkbox, to go directly to the Edit Person screen following any merge.

I believe I have put this forward before but Rootsmagic does not appear to compare the description fields highlighting them green on both sides, see below. Rather than over complicating matters and slowing the comparison process this might be worth adding as a non default additional option for those who wish to use it.

Also put forward before is the requirement for a more informative and detailed DSM display more akin to Timeline Views so users are better informed. Currently I often note possible duplicates by RIN on a piece of paper and then compare side by side in Rootsmagic later for more detail which is not so easy just by clicking the Edit person button alternatively on each primary and possible duplicate person.

Again already put forward is a wish to enable sorting this screen by primary person name which would be useful especially in large databases and name studies.

Already put forward is the request to restrict the scope of DSM to the contents of any Names Group which would enable the user to create a group of those with the Surname ‘Doe’ and any fact place contains ‘Pennsylvania’ and occupation contains ‘blacksmith’ or whatever.

Remembering the last used window size is a generic wish across Rootsmagic so should not need to be repeated here.

The existing Duplicate Search Merge routine forms the basis of what I believe to be a very powerful and much desired feature but it does require much improvement and thought to reveal that power which I hope the developers recognize.

dsmagain.png

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

Procrastinate (verb) - delay or postpone action; put off doing something.

"Named groups are currently static. We will be addressing dynamic groups (for lack of a better name) down the road a bit...

We are having to temporarily remove some functionality that isn’t ready yet in order to get the program out like everyone is clamoring for" - Bruce Buzbee October 5, 2008

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root