4 replies to this topic

#1 boltongenes

boltongenes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 04:49 AM

I am having problems with RM freezing but it is only when I edit citations. Weirdly it will allow me to use the left/right arrow keys to move within the field I am on but I cannot tab to the next field, use any other key, or close the screen. There is no sub-screen open when this occurs and I usually have Webhints running. I can still use any other programs I have open at the time and even if I close those programs the RM freeze continues.

If I check in Task Manager to see if RM is responding it usually tells me that it is running and using the CPU; only once has it said it is not responding. The only way around the problem is to End Task and go back into RM and re-edit the citation. 

I am using a 2 month old Intel Win 10 Pentium Silver N5000 1.1 GHz, 8Gb RAM, 64 bit operating system, 256GB SSD with plenty of space.

NB: This notebook is for travel purposes only due to its light weight. It can run Netflix and Youtube videos without a problem so should be beefy enough to run RM7. I usually use a Win8.1 Core i7 laptop at home that is 5 years old and I have no problems with freezing on that machine running RM7 with multiple tabs open in Firefox.

Any suggestions on how to stop this problem would be grateful.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6218 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

Disable WebHints and see if that affects behaviour.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 05:28 PM

Run the File>Database Tools after a fresh restart of RM. Make sure the database file is not inside any folder being synced to the cloud like Dropbox, OneDrive or GoogleDrive. Move it out of that folder if it is. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 NickL

NickL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 09:15 PM

I'm curious whether anyone else has encountered and resolved this issue?  I have experienced similar symptoms to those described by [boltongenes] recently, possibly only since updating to version 7.5.9.0.   It only seems to occur when editing an existing citation. Sometimes it's only a visible disappearance of the cursor within an editable field, and the citation can be closed and re-opened and life continues.  Other times, the citation dialog box cannot be closed, and a software restart is required via ctrl-alt-del. 

I deleted and fully reinstalled RM7 from a fresh download of the installation package, and the behaviour persists.  I do not have webhints running; and all files are local to my machine without any external synch.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts

Posted 23 March 2019 - 11:22 PM

I'm having no problems.

Currently running Win10 - 64bit and RM 7.5.9.0 on a Dell Inspiron 5770, 1.60 GHz quad-core with 16GB of RAM

I don't have online trees, so I never use Webhints.

I frequently have 2-10 windows open in each of Edge, Chrome, Firefox, and IE11.

I use NordVPN and Norton (firewall & antivirus) with Windows Defender disabled.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: freezing, editing citations