2 replies to this topic

#1 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

So I have a lot of places with details like Hopewell Cemetery. I have moved that out into Place details which will leave me with a standardized place of say Gilmer, Upshur, Texas, United States. Do you normally merge those Places (ex Gilmer) together or do you not merge those because it has a Place Detail attached to it? Are there any pros and cons I should be considering?

Thanks!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3608 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

If you are going the Place Details route, you really should merge identical Places together. Indeed, if each of the identical Places being merged has subsidiary Place Details, the merged Place will contain all the subsidiary Place Details in a combined list. Sometimes this can result in needing also to Merge some identical Place Details.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3434 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:16 AM

So I have a lot of places with details like Hopewell Cemetery. I have moved that out into Place details which will leave me with a standardized place of say Gilmer, Upshur, Texas, United States. Do you normally merge those Places (ex Gilmer) together or do you not merge those because it has a Place Detail attached to it? Are there any pros and cons I should be considering?

Thanks!

Jerry said it perfectly, I use Place Details with the desire of only having relatively standard Places in my Place List and being used for matching. Some users prefer to incorporate the place detail in the place field as Rootsmagic presently does not facilitate combining on gedcom output yet they do with Ancestry Treeshare.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root