5 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

My properties shows I have 68,411 individuals; however, my next RIN number is 76,260.  I have a lot of old deleted RIN numbers from various clean ups.

I don't want to create a GEDCOM export and create a new file as I use my existing RIN number for ID purposes.  For instance, I list my media files according to person's RIN number.  For instance,  I am RIN 1and list my media files like this:   000001_Reverdy_Orrell_birth (etc).  If I export to GEDCOM and create a new RM file, I believe I loose the current assigned numbers eventually, correct?

I thought that by running database tool / clean phantom records would free up those now unused numbers, but that isn't the case.

Any ideas on what to do?  

It really isn't a major problem, but it is something I've been wondering about.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

The way the RM's RIN numbers work is really a characteristic of the underlying SQLite database more so than being any particular design goal of the RM application. I think that most if not all SQL databases work this way for ID numbers that are numeric and "one up" where each new record gets the next higher number and deleted numbers are not reused.

The RIN numbers are not really intended to be meaningful, but many RM users use them that way. You might be better served assigning Reference Numbers to your people in RM and assigning your media file names based on those Reference Numbers. Having said that, Reference Numbers are not as convenient as RIN numbers because they are not assigned automatically and because you can't really "go to" them directly like you can with RIN numbers.

I'm not sure how I would like to see it work, but it might be nice if there were a number that you could use that you had more control over than the RIN number and that was more convenient than the Reference Number. In any case, be aware that the RIN number might or might not be preserved if ever your data is moved to another genealogy software - sometimes even if is moved to another RM system.

Jerry

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8406 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:33 PM

You always run a risk using Record Numbers for a filing system.  If you take the time to add Reference Numbers facts they will stay permanently with the person. You can add the Reference Number column to the People View and sort on it. You can also add the Reference Number to display after a person's name to view them. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:48 PM

I agree completely with Jerry, and especially his statement about loss of RIN if you move to another genealogy system. Use reference numbers, I set mine up similar to museum cataloging numbers, others use Accession Numbers or Library Numbering systems.

#5 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:54 AM

Excellent comments.  It would be great if I could run a program which would create a Ref # fact for everyone in the database, copying their RIN number to that fact.  But with close to 70,000 individuals, this is nothing I'm going to be able to do manually.

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6211 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Have a look at my page https://sqlitetoolsf...py-rin-to-refn/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.