bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:04 AM

I think this would be a great option to have when exporting to GEDCOM:

https://sqlitetoolsf...ails-to-Places/

This is a straightforward SQL script that simply recombines the Place and the Place Details so that the Place Details don't get lost when importing into another system that doesn't recognize the Place Details. It could just be a simple checkbox on the export GEDCOM dialog box. It would be a GREAT addition to have, especially for people like me who use several online services (Ancestry, MyHeritage, FamilySearch, RootsFinder, WikiTree, etc.) and several different local tree management software systems (RootsMagic for the master tree, FTM2017, Legacy9, Complete Genealogy Buider, etc.).

It seems that every time I import to another system the Place Details are lost which makes it troublesome to combine back in the data if and when I need to do that.

Thanks!

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 02:35 PM

I believe this has been requested before. The request really needs to go beyond GEDCOM to include any external RM interface such as FamilySearch and TreeShare. TreeShare already does it - it's not even an option and it just does it. It's not presently an option for GEDCOM or for FamilySearch.

For GEDCOM for sure, it really needs to be an option and not be automatic. For example, RM's drag and drop uses GEDCOM behind the scenes. If GEDCOM export automatically merged Place and Place Details then RM's drag and drop would move all your Place Details into the Place field, probably not what you want.

Jerry

#3 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:46 PM

Thanks! I didn't know drag and drop did that. Does it append a comma?

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3438 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

Thanks! I didn't know drag and drop did that. Does it append a comma?

Drag and drop does not presently combine Place and Place Details, so there is presently no issue of appending a comma.

I was emphasizing that any combining of Place and Place Details on GEDCOM export would need to be an option, unlike on TreeShare where it is unconditional. TreeShare makes it unconditional because RM knows that ancestry.com does not support a Place Details field and the only way for TreeShare not to lose the Place Details data on a transfer to ancestry.com is to combine the Place Details data with the Place field.

There are several reasons why any combining of Place and Place Details on GEDCOM export would need to be an option. Drag and drop is just one example of a reason.

Jerry

#5 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 10:35 AM

Oh, I see what you are saying now. Yeah, this would definitely be advantageous. Having the option in the GEDCOM export would be great.