5 replies to this topic

#1 susieqk

susieqk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Someone sent me a gedcom file via email. When I tried to open it on my Macbook, it asked me to choose a program, I chose RootsMagic, & I receive a message that there is not a window based program available to open the gedcom file. WHY can I not open the gedcom file on my Mac?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

--Susieqk

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:10 PM

Open RM, create a new database and File>Import

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3482 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:48 PM

You can't "open a GEDCOM file" on either a PC or a Mac and have the system invoke RM to open the file. For that matter, you can't "open an RM database" on either a PC or a Mac and have the system invoke RM to open the file. Rather, you have to do it the old school way where you start the program first and have the program open the file rather than having the system open the file.

In the case of an RM database, the way RM opens the file is File>Open. In the case of a GEDCOM file, the way RM opens the file is File>Import. In the case of an RM backup file, the way Rm opens the file is File>Restore.

Jerry

#4 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:42 AM

. For that matter, you can't "open an RM database" on either a PC or a Mac and have the system invoke RM to open the file.

Jerry

On my windows 10 PC 'double clicking' an RM database just opens it in RM, I have shortcuts on the desktop to my 2 main databases and that's how I normally open them.

Personal choice but I generally prefer to open / view a gedcom sent to me in a programme that just opens it directly, there are at least a couple of free ones around for Windows, not sure if there are any for a Mac but would have thought so.

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8369 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:02 AM

RootsMagic for Mac has a CrossOver wrapper around the program. It is translating the Windows version into a Mac version. The database file needs to be opened inside the program. If you double click on the .exe file it will try to look for a Windows program and give an error message. The behavior is different in Windows when there is no wrapper involved. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:18 AM

What Bob C wrote above; "Open RM, create a new database and File>Import" has always worked for me in RM7 on the Mac. Until RM goes native on the Mac, "shortcutting" for me has never worked. It is simply amazing how much we can do with the limited resources available.