7 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:56 PM

SQL solutions are not available to the average user of RM, in fact I would believe they are the preserve of the few. Facebook and other forums often show users looking for a niche one time solution to a particular problem which would not warrant Rootsmagic development.

I have been trialling another genealogy software package which allows the use of user developed Plugins to be run from within the program. I would imagine just like any supplier of download material the developers would validate the user written Plugin before adding it to the Plugin Store hosted on their site.

Facilitating the use of Plugins to be run within Rootsmagic would seem to be the perfect solution to many particular and niche problems and open up the wealth of scripts from TomH and other users up to the masses towards improving their data. Obviously such procedures need to be accompanied with the required amount of warnings to back up data and ensure the Plugin has performed the expected task. Rootsmagic may have objections to this but my recently made acquaintances and research has shown great support for this facility which was introduced 4+ years ago in the other software.

Plugins can be downloaded directly from their Plugin store FREE or requested via the specific Plugin thread on their forum.

plugin.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 BevSmallwood

BevSmallwood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:11 PM

I really like this idea.  I've been curious about SQLite, but haven't tried it yet.

#3 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:06 PM

LOVE this idea.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3590 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

I have thought about this one off and on for years, but I don't think I have ever posted anything about it. I think it would be great idea, and I also think it would be pretty easy for the developers to implement. For example, one of the standard SQLite tutorial sites has a small sample C++ program for Windows that issues a query against an SQLite database and displays the results on the screen. And actually, the simplest SQLite managers you can download don't do a whole lot more than that. I know that integrating this sort of thing into RM wouldn't necessarily be quite so simple, but it shouldn't be that hard.

Also, if you restrict it to true queries rather than updates, it would be perfectly safe. I mostly just write true SQLite queries against RM, but unfortunately some of the most useful things I have done do involve updates. For example, I did a bulk add of a Parents fact to everybody in my database who had parents. The new Parents fact looks really good in reports, plus it provides a place to attach evidence of parentage which RM doesn't really do a very good job of doing natively. So I don't know how you would manage possibly unsafe update scripts. But surely true query scripts could be a good place to start.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6254 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:45 AM

For safety, we have suggested that it be a premium feature, i.e., on a new tier - an advanced version of RM.

An alternative is that it should detect keywords such as DELETE, UPDATE, DROP TABLE, INSERT... and present a confirmation dialog with an option to make a backup.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3420 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 08:19 AM

So I don't know how you would manage possibly unsafe update scripts

Whilst scripts would quite possible get circulated offline, I see the hosting in the developers Plugin Store as a validation process in itself. We all know many of the solutions offered by scripts are quirky and bespoke to the user who has followed a path of data entry they now regret or have inherited data recorded in such a fashion.

Many of the plugins hosted in the store do alter the database towards recognized needs.

pluginlib.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8470 posts

Posted 22 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Confirming this is on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

This is truly a fantastic idea. Family Historian 6 and Gramps both use this method and it definitely adds to those systems. In some ways, it enables those systems to approach some of the "magic" in RootsMagic. And you already have quite a few people who are active in developing SQL and other tools to do these things.

I believe FH6 and Gramps add-ins are LUA based - I think that's FH6. Gramps is open source so I'm sure anything goes there. I wish the terrible Gramps interface would go through. Heh. :-)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sql, scripts