6 replies to this topic

#1 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:52 AM

This has been on my desktop for a few days, is not born out of Jerrys Bryans Bakers Dozen post but coincidentally does share some relevance.

I have no idea how Rootsmagic interrogate the Wish List or how they perceive popularity pf features except to maybe correlate similar wishes or long winded reading of actual user comments. Requests would naturally be dated, I would imagine tagged for feature set(s) they touch on and linked to the original discussion/request. I am concerned that over 10 years of wishing that would not be so easy to interrogate towards building a meaningful development plan?

It’s no secret that I am trialling another software package at present, both Rootsmagic and the other package have strengths and weaknesses in their present versions, the other package has some impressive features and it would appear from their schedule a new version release is due so it’s going to be a years of decisions for me.

Outside of performance, one thing I like is their wish list, wishes would appear to be assessed as valid or quirky by admin and the ones deemed valid are moved to the official wish list, this is akin to the Rootsmagic “enhancement request list” except it is visible to users. Apart from being visible users then have the opportunity to vote and add their endorsement to the any particular request therefore providing a good indication of popularity.

Rootsmagic did have an excellent reputation in the past for engaging and listening to user needs but personally I feel that direction has been lost or convoluted in the last 10 years.  I don’t want to question the business plan or start or quoting “the customer is always right” but one must listen to user needs and the other Wish List format instantly makes me feel involved and I would hope a more transparent inclusive user development format would be considered by Rootsmagic.

I also realise the other package, whilst almost always being rated higher than Rootsmagic in independent surveys, may well be outsold by Rootsmagic many times over due to a different level of researcher user base. I simply wanted to post my views here and still find the task of effectively interrogation the enhancement request list meaningfully mind boggling.

wishlist.png

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#2 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 07:40 AM

Assuming I have correctly identified the software you are trialling, I have also tried this as a couple of cousins I collaborate with regularly have it as their main software and speak highly of it!  - they have also  commented  favourably on users interaction with the publishers re features etc. I am  particularly attracted by their 'plugin store'  providing an extra route to add new or alternative features that users desire, I have previously commented that allowing  'add ons' might be a good route for RM.

In truth I am keen to try RM8 before I would consider shifting my main programme but I do like to keep an eye on what's out there, I am still unconvinced there is a 'one for all' programme out there - for  me anyway - perhaps RM8 will prove me wrong :-)

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

Assuming I have correctly identified the software you are trialling, I have also tried this as a couple of cousins I collaborate with regularly have it as their main software and speak highly of it!  - they have also  commented  favourably on users interaction with the publishers re features etc. I am  particularly attracted by their 'plugin store'  providing an extra route to add new or alternative features that users desire, I have previously commented that allowing  'add ons' might be a good route for RM.

In truth I am keen to try RM8 before I would consider shifting my main programme but I do like to keep an eye on what's out there, I am still unconvinced there is a 'one for all' programme out there - for  me anyway - perhaps RM8 will prove me wrong :-)

Trebor22, you are steeling tomorrows post :D but yes you have identified it correctly and looking at the previous release schedule it would also be due an upgrade.

One would imagine, and hope, Rootsmagic would be well aware of the features and productivity of competitor programs especially those usually ranked above Rootsmagic in surveys. The only way to beat that fast kid in the school sports day is to run faster, if your legs just aren't long enough for that type of performance then take up darts :D

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6213 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

I'm surprised at some aspects of that Wishlist. One, it seems short, given that the differential score between highest and lowest is so large. Two, fully 9 of the 14 listed date from almost 13 years ago.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3404 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:51 AM

I'm surprised at some aspects of that Wishlist. One, it seems short, given that the differential score between highest and lowest is so large. Two, fully 9 of the 14 listed date from almost 13 years ago.

TomH, I have no historical and practical experience of this list, I purely liked the fact that wishes and their user popularity are visible and sorted as such with no need to reiterate long standing ones like Jerry recently posted. I understand once wishes are fulfilled they are removed from that list by admin which is easy to do on such an ordered list whereas old wishes which are now part of Rootsmagic still linger on the forum.

None of us will ever know how Rootsmagic effectively interrogate their logging system and how they determine user and market popularity. I would have to dig through an archive pst to find references to wishes I made many years ago, I have no idea how Rootsmagic manage that task or it is other market forces driving the direction of development.

If nothing else this list from another software provider gives Rootsmagic and other competitors an indication of popularity for some features nonexistent in the current version and I see no reason the genealogy community cannot move forward together with common goals. You will also note that many of the items on that list are already part of Rootsmagic but I am finding many envious features within the current version of the other program which I hope Rootsmagic strive to emulate and improve on.

I think it's also worth noting that the other software package was released December 2014, same time as Rootsmagic 7 so is also likely to be due an upgrade.

Root

#6 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:50 AM

For interest I visited the relevant website and there appear to be 3 'wish lists' - 'current'  which  appears to be as posted by Vyger, 'new',  typically dated 2017 or later and 'closed' dated 2016 or older and by far the longest list. No idea how many, if any, of the closed ones made it to the current release.

#7 bdunn

bdunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

This might be a very simple way to handle wish list items. They can be voted on and commented on. Pretty simple to use.

https://wantoo.io

Check it out and see if you think it would work well for a Wish List for RootsMagic.