• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carolynpenn

carolynpenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

I had switched my database from a different software to RM 4 or 5 years ago and uploaded that tree to Ancestry in 2013.  I didn't do much on either until recently when  I started accepting documents and facts from Hints on Ancestry.  I decided I wanted to get back into my research and upgraded RM to 7 so that I could share the tree with Ancestry.  I read articles on this forum and the FAQs and decided that my Ancestry file should have the most info becuase I had been adding sources and facts to it based on Hints (but no new people)  So, I created a new RM file called "Ells2019" and downloaded the Ancestry file into it. I then used the Compare function to see what was in the Ells2019 file versus my old RM file called "Ells2013".  The results are confusing me.  I see many individuals who are in one file but not the other and vice versa as well as facts.  This doesn't make sense as I might have added a few people to Ells2013 for births and added death details but know that I have not added any others.  Also, I don't believe that I have added any new people to the tree on Ancestry - only accepted sources from hints. I started to treat Ells2019 as my new database and was copying items from Ells2013 into it. However, I decided to check something and discovered that while the Compare said that an individual was not in the Ells2019 data base, when I went into the Ells2019 database she was there (in all instances that I have found so far it was a spouse where I didn't have her maiden name).  So I am now concerned that I will end up with duplicate people if I keep adding them to Ells2019 database.  Any recommendations? 

Since I had heard there were some issues with Sources, I decided to check with the Source list said.  When UI checked the Ells2013 sourcelist, it was all of the sources that I have entered over the years - mainly research from census records on microfiche, tombstone inscriptions and interviews with family members.  However, when I checked the source list in Ells2019 (one downloaded from Ancestry) it did not contain any of those sources but rather ones from Ancestry records only.  Could I have lost all of my source links when I uploaded the Ells2013 file to Ancestry back in 2013?  If that is the case then maybe I should start back with my Ells2013 file as it has all of my original sources.   

Should I just go back to my Ells2013 RM file and treat it as my main database and use compare to add sources to it that I had accepted into the Ells2019 (Ancestry) tree?  If I do that, should I delete the Ancestry tree and use TreeShare to upload the updated Ells2013?

Any advice would be appreciated. I really want to get back into doing family research (I did most of it 15-25 years ago) and I have many documents in files that have not been entered as I would never add facts until I had the time to add the source.  Thank you.

Carolyn Cheverine

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8414 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

How many people are in each database?  Just wondering if a merge might work better. If you try a merge make sure to clean up the place list first. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

As always, make a backup before you try anything like this.

If you don't like the results, restore the backups.

Or better yet, make copies named as "Test_Data" or something like that and play with the copies.

#4 doug1mann

doug1mann

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

Hi Carolyn

I am in the same situation as you.  I used Family Tree Maker for many years, then about 2 years ago I decided to switch to Roots Magic.  I imported my FTM tree into RM and began using RM.  I did not use tree share, so, after adding information to my RM tree for some months, eventually I became lazy and started using FTM again.  At times I was using both programs.  I have information in FTM which is not in RM and visa versa.

Last week I decided to switch to Roots Magic again, and stay with RM.  I called support and following their advice, I uploaded my Family Tree Maker tree to Ancestry, then I downloaded that tree from Ancestry to Roots Magic.  Today I started to use the compare feature in Roots Magic and ran into the same situation as you have.

When I open the original Roots Magic tree and compare, the compare shows a person in the RM tree downloaded from Ancestry which is not in the original RM tree.  When I open the RM tree which was downloaded from Ancestry and compare, the compare shows that person in both trees.  I have not reached a solution.  I am working to fully understand with this one individual before I continue.

I will post the answer when I find it.

#5 carolynpenn

carolynpenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:37 AM

I checked and have about 2400 in my RM 2013 file and about 2480 in the RM 2019 file. In reviewing the list of individuals, it appears that the ones that I added to the RM 2019 file based on the compare are now duplicate individuals so the Compare told me they were missing when they were not.  I will try the Merge suggestion and treat the resulting database as a Test so see if it helps cut down the manual changes that need to be made.

Thank you.

Carolyn

#6 carolynpenn

carolynpenn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:38 AM

Doug, Thank you for letting me know that you have the same issue.  I had thought it would be simple to do the Compare and then see the differences, but I am getting more differences than should appear.  It would take a very long time to check each one.  Someone else suggested doing a merge and I am going to try that (after doing some reading first) on a test basis. I like the suggestion of creating a test database and playing around with it before making it the "final" database.  This is proving tougher than I thought.  What I may do in the end if I cannot find a good solution is just use my RM database and reenter from the hints I get from Ancestry.

Good luck.  I will share if I learn anything more as well.