Photo

Ancestry Not Responding Dialog (windows)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bwr63

bwr63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:29 AM

Hi All,

Ok I see in another thread that Ancestry link is down due to API changes..

My issue is that this dialog is a real pain.

1) RM Locks Out

Tab away. Occasionally if when the dialog pops up for the first time and I Alt-TAB to another window then go back to RM. I find RM is not responding to mouse clicks.

Can only get out via the task manager and stopping the RM process (hard kill)

2) Dialog Options

Hit the X on the top right to close the pop-up and it just keeps coming back. Again and Again and Again.

This really needs a button to say pause connection until next restart of RM

From RM "Internet/Ancestry Tree Share" menu there is no option to pause the connection.

The dialog does go away on its own if you wait long enough (too long really) and the connection is paused for that RM session.

So why wait so long and no button.to pause immediately?

#2 bwr63

bwr63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 08:42 AM

UPDATE:

I forgot to say that if I try to close RM or to close the tree I am working on while in this mode of operation where the dialog keeps reappearing then RM will lock-up and I need to kill it via the taskbar

#3 salconflu

salconflu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 09:56 AM

I am having the same/similar problem rendering the program unusable.  I rebooted the computer but the problem is still there. 

When I open RM I get a message that Ancestry is not responding [Retry].  Clicking Retry causes the dialog box to go away.  When I try to close the program I get the usual back up or skip option, but then the program locks up from there and has to be killed via the task manager.

Attempting to disconnect from Ancestry tree produces the same result initially but after a hard kill I can now open and close the program.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8239 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

The "Ancestry is not responding" message is due to the Ancestry API being down. Auto login is trying to reconnect in the background. Go to Tools>File Options>WebHint and uncheck Ancestry. This will stop WebHints from trying to login. Don't disconnect your tree, because the connection cannot be restored without a backup.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 gramssearch

gramssearch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:16 AM

The "Ancestry is not responding" message is due to the Ancestry API being down. Auto login is trying to reconnect in the background. Go to Tools>File Options>WebHint and uncheck Ancestry. This will stop WebHints from trying to login. Don't disconnect your tree, because the connection cannot be restored without a backup.

thanks so much! I was having the same problem with RM7 freezing, and unchecking ancestry.com webhints did the trick.