• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lwapner

lwapner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:11 PM

My wife's grandfathers are brothers making my wife's parents first cousins.  How do I enter the brothers' common parents in the RM data base?  No matter how I do it, my wife's pedigree chart eventually splits into two identical/duplicate charts, one corresponding to each of her grandfathers.  Is there a best way to do this and avoid the duplication?

Thanks,

L

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:13 AM

My grt grandparents were first cousins.  I do Pedigree/Ancestor Charts from my grand mother  a child of the first cousins and do not have two charts.  So I don't have a problem. Do a chart from a child or grand child and see what happens.

Later edit: 

Went back and set up Ancestor Charts from my grandchildren and yes it does set up separate pages.  But I do not think that is a problem at least for me.  AS I very seldom use the Pedigree/Ancestor Chart unless it is for a special reason.  My index for my hard copy/electronic files is the Family Group Sheet for each person. 

My comment is not to worry about dup copies for those brothers.  Mine are sisters and in their parents file, the FGS tells the story. In their spouse files, the FGS tells the story. 

I always ask my self before making a copy of any chart, Why? What for ____? Which chart is the best? Do I really need it?  

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

The cascading Pedigree Chart will truncate when the lines merge and reference where it was listed earlier. It does complete the duplicate line until continued on another page. That's when it references the earlier line. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 lwapner

lwapner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

Does "page" refer to the next "screen" moving to the right?

Thanks

#5 lwapner

lwapner

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 12:48 PM

OK. I think I follow this.  My problem relates to the printing, not the viewing, of the complete Cascading Pedigree Chart.  If I were to print my wife's complete Cascading Pedigree Chart, going up more than three generations, would I not see duplicates in the chart, beginning with the parents of the brothers?

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6252 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

You could answer your question by printing or saving the chart to pdf, open the pdf and use the reader's find tool to look for instances of a given ancestor.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8457 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

The answer is yes, there will be duplicates until it references the page the line is continued on. Then it refers back to the page number where the line was first printed. 

Renee
RootsMagic