8 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

Is there a way to create a report (or a group) which contains all of my "end of line" ancestors?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

A Group is the best way to start as you can then use it to filter the People View et al and to filter several reports.

In Create Group, select yourself then Mark Group > Direct-line ancestors of the highlighted person. Then Unmark Group > Persons having no parents. Of course, this could be a lot of people if you have a tall, full tree so you might also unmark on other criteria. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:47 AM

Excellent.  Yes, I have quite a few people in my database.  Creating a "group" within RM is much better than a printout.

#4 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

I was able to mark & create a group of my direct line ancestors.  However, when I select Unmark Group, I don't see an appropriate option for selecting those ancestors without a parent.  I seem to be missing something

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

The criterion might be Number of Parents - equals - 0, from memory.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8335 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:02 PM

For UnMark use Number of sets of parents - greater than - 0

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:34 PM

Thanks Renee & Tom.  The last comment about unmarking number of sets of parents to greater than zero nailed it.  This is very helpful as a "group".

Below is the entire sequence that I use for others who might be interested in creating a group of "end of line" direct ancestors

Go to Groups

New

Select self in checkbox

Mark Group

Ancestors of Highlighted Person

(Increase number of generations)

OK (This creates a group consisting of all direct line ancestors in database

Unmark Group

Clear People by Data Fields

Number of sets of parents - greater than - 0 (zero)

OK (You then get a notice of the number of people who have been "unmarked" or deleted from the group

OK

OK

Give Group A Name (I use Reb - End of Line - Ancestors), if I am the starting person

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6161 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:57 PM

Sorry I erred with my Unmark criterion. Double negative. Of course, Mark using that criterion would mark all end-of-line ancestors of multiple people, not just yours.

#9 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:00 PM

I noticed that when I tried to create, but didn't know how to fix until Renee posted.  This is very handy