8 replies to this topic

#1 ernie73

ernie73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:37 AM

Hello together!

Normally (what is normal???) one spouse will take her husbands surname when marrying. RootsMagic works perfectly with this. But...

in Germany there are many other possibilities. When Mr. Jones marries Mrs. Huber, there can be:

- Mr. Jones and Mrs. Jones

- Mr. Huber and Mrs. Huber

- Mr. Jones ans Mrs. Huber-Jones

- Mr. Jones-Huber and Mrs. Huber-Jones.

Don't ask me, what name-combinations there children can have.

How can I handle this with RootsMagic???

Example: My son married, gave up our name and took over his spuses surname. Meanwhile they are divorced. He married again and took over his new spouses name.

How to solve this problem? I managed it by taking the fact "Marriage" and "Alternate Name" with the same date. But I'm not sure if this is the solution. In every chart my son is printed with the surname of his first spouse, not with the name of his second.

Does anyone have the same problem and got a solution?

Greetings from Germany, Ernst (Ernie)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3519 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

You are not going to like this solution, but when I first begin genealogy a very wise and experienced genealogist mentored me to the effect that in genealogy women are always known by their birth name. It's obviously less common, but the same approach works with men who takes the names of their wives. So just leave your son's name unchanged. Simple solution. Problem solved.

It's probably worth documenting the name changes in notes in RM. And you will probably have documents for your son where his name appears in a changed form. So images of those documents will have his name in changed form as will any transcriptions of those documents. But as far as the actual name field in RM itself, just leave it alone. Some RM users will enter Alternate Names in this kind of situation, and that can be a good solution as well. Just leave his birth name alone.

Jerry

#3 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1042 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:28 AM

As Jerry said, women (and by extension, everyone else) keep their birth name. One of my pet-peeves is when someone insists on entering women by their married names (i.e. MyHeritage). It's just so annoying. As for how to handle the names of the children. Well, if you have any experience with Spanish of Swedish genealogy, where surnames change every generation, you just do it the hard way. Anything else can be accounted for with the Alternate Name fact.

When someone mentions that RootsMagic needs to be polyglot, I use this as an example of just how anglocentric the program is from the ground up and just translating the words will do little to make it sensible to other cultures. 

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:15 AM

As Jerry said, women (and by extension, everyone else) keep their birth name. One of my pet-peeves is when someone insists on entering women by their married names (i.e. MyHeritage). It's just so annoying. As for how to handle the names of the children. Well, if you have any experience with Spanish of Swedish genealogy, where surnames change every generation, you just do it the hard way. Anything else can be accounted for with the Alternate Name fact.

When someone mentions that RootsMagic needs to be polyglot, I use this as an example of just how anglocentric the program is from the ground up and just translating the words will do little to make it sensible to other cultures. 

Don, In the UK a married woman almost invariably takes her husbands surname, the notable exception being a professional person where all her college diplomas and qualifications are in her maiden name and displayed at her place of work.

So as a married woman moves through her life with maybe several marriages her name will appear in official records under those numerous married names therefore it is important to record them as Alternate Names, dated and Noted. Unless, for some reason like acrimonious divorce, she reverts to her birth name late in life her last married surname will be the one appearing in death registrations and on her grave marker.

I think it's extremely useful that in USA the maiden name generally gets carried into the married name, this is not common at all in UK and Ireland and needs to be recognized. The German situation is a new one to me but it can also be catered for by use of Alternate name, I returned from a German trip recently where a coffee shop recorded my Eagleson surname as Igorson (or similar) even though I spelled it out to him. Being curious how that may have happened I checked the phonetics of the German alphabet and the letter "I" has the sound "ee" so that explained that. So I may have German blood relatives with not only a different spelling, but a different Soundex and Index letter, I would record these using Alternate Name "Other spelling", I don't know what others do?

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

Don, In the UK a married woman almost invariably takes her husbands surname, the notable exception being a professional person where all her college diplomas and qualifications are in her maiden name and displayed at her place of work.

I am constantly reminded by some of my Scottish relatives that it has been common in Scotland for married women to keep their maiden name, however I have to say I have not found it so common 'in the records' except for widows who often  revert to maiden name and headstones sometimes show the wife by their maiden name. Perhaps the practice varies by area but I wouldn't ignore it when searching in Scotland.

#6 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3403 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

I am constantly reminded by some of my Scottish relatives that it has been common in Scotland for married women to keep their maiden name, however I have to say I have not found it so common 'in the records' except for widows who often  revert to maiden name and headstones sometimes show the wife by their maiden name. Perhaps the practice varies by area but I wouldn't ignore it when searching in Scotland.

I'm not aware of that as common but it could have been in some particular areas, you likely know it was common for the Scots to use a Surname as a forename in children like Crawford, Finlay, Cameron, Farquhar etc. which can sometimes suggest clues, this also became common in stonngly Presbyterian areas of County Antrim due to migration.

I think the point here is Rootsmagic is a world program and must strive to recognize world cultures and naming conventions of people and places, a journey I believe and hope the company is on.

We are all limited by our visions and abilities

Whilst we can borrow from the visions of others we cannot always deliver.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.0, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#7 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:47 PM

My family tree includes many "complicated" women who married multiple times (as many as six).  Divorce and spousal death documentation can be found for only about a quarter of those marriages.  My habit is to create an Alternate Name fact dated to match the available documentation and not to assume anything about names.  Those name changes then match the timeline of the documentation.

FWIW, my wife did not carry her maiden name into our marriage (I'm a Yank), and her biological father was unofficially adopted, meaning my wife's maiden name was not legally correct anyway!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#8 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:14 PM

I always use birth names as the primary name, then add all name changes as additional names and when a name (given or surname) is a variant (spelling difference, nicknames) that are uncommon I add them as well. I have a few people with stage names and artist names that I add as well. I get some flack from people who hated their birth name but I try to keep my records standard and calm the people that give me the flack.

#9 ernie73

ernie73

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:00 AM

Thanks a lot for your help.

As I see, I will continue in using "Alternate Name" for name changes. It seems to be most practicable for me.