• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:29 AM

When I use People tab I can sort all data according to birth data/place and death date/place. But I don't see an option to add marriage data/place. For me it would be vary useful to see all people from my data who got married in the same town in order to consider them to the same family. 

Is it any way I can add marriage to this tab?  I see divorce date/place option.

Thanks Krzysztof

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:39 AM

If you see Divorce as an available field for People View, then it is a custom fact type for an Individual, not the built-in 'family' fact-type of that name. Currently, there is no way to get family fact-types such as Marriage and Divorce to display in People View. You could create custom person fact type for Marriage and add it to everyone with the standard Marriage fact, populated with the same data. Jerry Bryan has written about this as a way to get the marriage displayed in chronological order with other events in the narrative report. I think he developed a SQLite script to do the batch conversion. 

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:20 AM

It is very confusing. When I add New Fact to Edit Person as "divorce" with a date and place it doesn't show up in People tab.

When I add "DIV" with date and place and then customize view in "People" then I see those data. 

Why we have divorce and div ? What a difference? It is very confusing.

I would suggest to add marriage data to people as birth and death.  The changes, what I see are in Fact Types window. Both birth, death and div are market as personal in fact type (3th from top) In marriage fact type is family. The rest is the same.

For me, personally, it is very useful to get all marriage day/place in People tab

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:56 AM

Your "DIV" fact type is a custom fact type either created by you or imported from some other database, even from an Ancestry Member Tree.

What you are wanting is already on the Wish List but that means nothing for when, if ever, it will be fulfilled. So plan on getting along without it for the indefinite future. Consider how best to work around the shortcoming.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

When I use People tab I can sort all data according to birth data/place and death date/place. But I don't see an option to add marriage data/place. For me it would be vary useful to see all people from my data who got married in the same town in order to consider them to the same family. 

Is it any way I can add marriage to this tab?  I see divorce date/place option.

Thanks Krzysztof

Not available in RM, most likely on the enhancement list but that is no indication it might be a possibility in the next version.

“Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” -Bill Gates

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#6 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

Well it is what it is. Yes definitely it is on my wish list. Maybe other users would also find it useful. DIV was there maybe when I moved from PAF. I didn't add it by myself.  If Jerry Bryan was able to write a script it means it is doable.

Nevertheless, as end user, I would love to consider it to be build in new version. Maybe some kind of ability to customize some fields would be helpful.  Otherwise I would still use paper notes or Excel spreadsheet what is a huge step back isn't it.   

Please again consider to add it to new update.

Thanks

Krzysztof

#7 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:22 PM

Working somehow around is go to  REPORTS, PLACE LIST. But nevertheless,  it would be convenient to have marriages in People list.

I attached a snapshots:

Clipboard01y.jpg

Clipboard01t.jpg
Clipboard01r.jpg
Clipboard01e.jpg
Clipboard01w.jpg
Clipboard01q.jpg

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:10 PM

What I actually did was to share all marriages with the principals to the marriage.

There multiple problems in dealing RM's family facts such as marriage and divorce. One is that they don't show up in timeline order in narrative reports. Sharing such facts with the principals solves the timeline order in narrative reports problem. It doesn't solve the People View problem because People View doesn't support shared facts.

Showing RM's family facts in People View would actually be somewhat harder than it is to show individual facts, but it shouldn't be impossible or rocket science or anything that. Essentially, the SQL query that RM would have to perform for family facts for People View would be a separate query than the SQL query that RM already performs for individual facts for People View. But it is straightforward with a UNION operation to combine multiple SQL queries into one. An RM user wouldn't be aware that multiple SQL queries were being combined into one behind the scenes if People View supported family facts.

I think the deeper problem with People View is that it only shows one line per person which causes difficulties for any fact type which occurs multiple times for a person. And a family fact such as marriage often occurs multiple times for the same person.

Jerry

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:22 PM

Some, and I still include myself, hope something similar becomes a reality in RM8

people.PNG

The great Indian mathematician Aryabhat caclulated the value of pi at 3.1416, ~1500 years ago and without a computer!

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.5.9, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5 (in order of preference)

Root

#10 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:24 PM

From a GEDCOM standpoint DIV is a standard Family Fact tag, it is not a tag associated with an Individual. I doubt the PAF would have a GEDCOM DIV on an Individual.

#11 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:01 AM

Looking in Vyger post I am struggling with an estimated date of birth or death. Writing c. 1728 makes it readable but when I use polish word it makes it immediately as mistake and field becomes yellow. And as a result date doesn't show up on the list of people (on left side of the screen)

Could you please make it universal for all languages and when letters are there read the year and whatever is before.

#12 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3359 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

Looking in Vyger post I am struggling with an estimated date of birth or death. Writing c. 1728 makes it readable but when I use polish word it makes it immediately as mistake and field becomes yellow. And as a result date doesn't show up on the list of people (on left side of the screen)

Could you please make it universal for all languages and when letters are there read the year and whatever is before.

Hi Krzysztof,

Out of interest how would you record this in Polish?

The C. is an abbreviation for "Circa" which is from the latin, in Rootsmagic I prefix with "Abt" but it will also accept "C." and change it to "Ca" still meaning "about"

The screenshot I posted is simply from another program, the date is still approximate for they display it in a slightly different format than RM does.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circa

Root

#13 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

In case you think you are communicating with RootsMagic developers or administrators in this discussion, you are not. This is a forum for users to facilitate user-to-user communications and assistance. There is one RM employee who regularly participates and RM owns and administers the service. To be sure to attract the attention of the RM participant to what you would like to see added or enhanced or fixed in RootsMagic, post a clear message in the RootsMagic Wish List forum. She may recognise and acknowledge a wish buried in a discussion in this forum but might miss it.

That said, multilingual support has been on the Wish List for a decade and there has been no sign of its imminent coming.

#14 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:30 AM

Hi Krzysztof,

Out of interest how would you record this in Polish?

The C. is an abbreviation for "Circa" which is from the latin, in Rootsmagic I prefix with "Abt" but it will also accept "C." and change it to "Ca" still meaning "about"

I tested ca and c. . Both are displayed as ca which I know means circa. In Polish personally I use "ok" abbreviation from okolo means about/around. But other languages might benefit from it as well. So when I write ok 1780 this doesn't display as date. Meanwhile I might spend couple of hrs to change my "ok" to ca. :)

#15 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:34 AM

In case you think you are communicating with RootsMagic developers or administrators in this discussion, you are not.  There is one RM employee who regularly participates and RM owns and administers the service. To be sure to attract the attention of the RM participant to what you would like to see added or enhanced or fixed in RootsMagic, post a clear message in the RootsMagic Wish List forum. She may recognise and acknowledge a wish buried in a discussion in this forum but might miss it.

That said, multilingual support has been on the Wish List for a decade and there has been no sign of its imminent coming.

Thanks TomH. I didn't know :( It is not much of the matter of multilingual support as just accepting any word before the year. 

#16 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6147 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:30 PM

It cannot accept any character string before the date because it needs to calculate a hidden number for sorting events. The sorting number for "on" must be higher than "before" and less than "after" a certain date, for example. It would be unacceptable that they be assigned the same sort date.

#17 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

It cannot accept any character string before the date because it needs to calculate a hidden number for sorting events. The sorting number for "on" must be higher than "before" and less than "after" a certain date, for example. It would be unacceptable that they be assigned the same sort date.

Contrary it sorts as a number. I tried sorting siblings and sorting dates in People view. It sorts as number. But the most importantly it displays a birthday year in index. I am "fishing" right now different parishes, so if I find someone I am able to compare a birthday year and analyze it if it is the same person or not. At this moment It is good enough for me. :) It correctly display in all kinds of reports as ca 1740 as an example. So after many hrs of changing my abbreviations to "ca" it works very well.

#18 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8316 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:14 PM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#19 Krzysztof

Krzysztof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:24 AM

Confirming these are on the enhancement request list. 

Wonderful !!!!

#20 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3409 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Wonderful !!!!

Being on the enhancement request list is not a commitment to include the request in the product. Most of the items on the enhancement request list never seem to make it into the product.

Jerry