• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Lineka

Lineka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

I have ended up with 3+ files/databases for each of the four different family trees plus I've added even more since incorporating Ancestry. I'm finding I've entered information into one or another of the files/databases basically scattering the info. I am so confused!!!!

How do I keep and merge the info from all of them into one main database, one for each family tree? (Does this make sense?)  How to best prevent choosing the wrong database and causing this problem again? Do I delete old rmgc "duplicate" databases?

I've read through the book as well as watched several webinars and this particular problem of mine doesn't seem to be addressed.

(I apologize if I've not explained this very well)

Linda the newbie

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 03:59 PM

You can use Compare Files to see the difference between the files and copy data. It doesn't support relationships and family facts yet so keep that in mind. It might be better to use a drag n drop in those situations. 

What's New in RootsMagic 7  

00:29:05 – Compare Files

You might want to consider merging the four separate trees into one database so you keep everyone in one database. Before you begin merging it's best to clean up the place list first. It will cut down on duplicate facts after a merge. Hopefully there aren't a lot of duplicates in those separate databases. Make sure each database and its duplicate are compared and rectified before merging. 

Using Drag and Drop in RootsMagic

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

"How do I keep and merge the info from all of them into one main database, one for each family tree? (Does this make sense?)"

Actually I might be a little bit confused about your problem.  One way of reading your problem is that you have four different family trees and you have three or more database files for each of the four different family trees.

Does this mean that you have at least 12 different database files?  If this is what you mean, I can see how you are confused.

For one extended family of many generations, cousins, spouses and so on, the general attitude is to have one large database.  That keeps placenames consistent as Renee indicated.

If I were doing custom research for clients, I would have separate databases for each client.  But I don't do custom work for others.

For my extended family, every person is in one database.  And my backup files are directed to a different physical drive with occasional backups to a flashdrive for the safety deposit box.

Back to your problem: 

1] Before you do anything else, make certain that each database file has a current backup.
2] Modern disk drives are so cheap and so large, that it does not make any sense to start deleting files until you have your problem resolved.

It would help to solve your problem if other readers had a better understanding of how you got to this point.  But first, make certain all files have a backup.

#4 Lineka

Lineka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:06 PM

Thank you both. I tried the drag and drop, thought that would work great as I was to understand it, but ended up with doubles, triples, etc. of almost everyone.

John, you understood me correctly and if I could insert a screen shot here I could show you two my dilemma.  At this point I am deleting all databases and backups that are over a year old,  as well as extra databases of the same families.  I've been focused on one particular tree this past week and entered a LOT of info. As far as connecting with Ancestry and Family Search, I'll pass. As I thought, it only adds to the confusion.

I thought keeping each side of the family within their own database would be less confusing, but, as you said, John, that is not the case.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1466 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:27 AM

rm7-post-image-to-forum.png

#6 Lineka

Lineka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

https://postimg.cc/yDN86Lf3

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8295 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:52 PM

Yes, I can see you have a lot of databases. So what is the goal. Do you want one big database or just clean up the similar sounding ones?

Renee
RootsMagic